Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

As This Is My First Post, Can I Get Away With Asking What Might Be A R

Have I got this right?

In KS1 the only completely statutory documents are the NC Programmes of Study? With the Primary Framework being something that you can use to help meet the NC requirements (doing 4 weeks of Stories about Fantasy Worlds etc.) but you don't have to?

Or am I completely wrong and you do have to use both?

Except for a brief PGCE placement I haven't taught in KS1 yet, but will need to find a new job soon and expect I may find myself in Y1 or 2 so would like to get my head round it all in advance! I know if I do move up I would prefer to continue planning from the children's interests and it does seem the Framework could be a bit restrictive for that in places, have those of you with more experience found this to be the case or have I just got to get my head round it a little more?

I hope this post hasn't made you groan in an 'I can't believe she doesn't know that already!' fashion- please take pity on me if it has!!

As far as I'm aware you don't have to use the Primary framework, but most places would expect you too. There are a lot of really good ideas within it but its easy to get sucked into 'formal' (i.e. KS2) learning too quickly. There are lots of practical ideas and activities within the frameworks - is just schools that tend to push for lots of recorded activities to monitor, assess and compare by. Hope that helps.

And welcome to the forum too!

Edited by Guest

HI smizzle, welcome to the forum, please dont think any question is a bit daft or silly, we have all been at that point in our careers at some point where we don't know what might seem really obvious.

Many of us never stop asking questions so you'll fit in here just fine.

As lucy said, you will find schools will have made their own decision on what you use, and some may be more flexible than others. Im not that familiar with the Primary Frameworks these days, so I cant help much further but other members will be along Im sure.

Hi sorry cant answer your query .

just wanted to say welcome and dont be afraid to ask .no question is silly or obvious and there s always someone who ll come along and help if they can

they re a really friendly bunch and always keen to help so ask away !!!

I cant help either but wanted to say hello.

I echo what others have said too, no question is silly, but knowing you need to ask it is a positive step in the right direction. :oxD

Welcome from me too I always worry that people think my questions are daft but Rea you have summed it up perfectly I think :(

The primary framework is not a legal requirment it is merely guidance. However, many schools will be using it and you may find you need to go with what the school expects. If you are lucky you will be able to get away with not using it. There are also many cunning ways to use it, but not use it, if you see what I mean. For example even in schools where they do use it you're usually allowed to do the units whenever you like so you can just say you're doing them as interests crop up appropriate to those units and teach them in your own way rather than how they are recommended.

Thank you for the advice and kind welcome!

I like your idea of using it but not strictly Kariana- sounds like the best thing to do when a school requires it. Good to know it isn't completely statutory though, the paperwork side of KS1 is slowly starting to make sense.

Hopefully sometime soon I will be able to answer questions as well as ask them!

Thanks again, I'm very glad to have found such a friendly and supportive forum :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)