Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Very First Mindee

Please help!!!

Im due to have my first mindee on 4th November. I will have her for 2 afternoons every other week. She will be 2 years old ( my friends daughter).

I have my own daughter who is 21 months old. I need to know what kind of planning i can do for her. Do i do long term planning or short tem planning or just go with the flow ?

I would make all the resources readily available to both children so they can choose freely.

Then I'd go with the flow as you say, supporting their interests, expending their knowledge and understanding by asking questions and offering additional resources as appropriate. Then at the end of the day very briefly, write up what you did, how it linked to their interests, what areas of learning it best covered and any thoughts you have for extending it in the future.

That should cover all bases and no unnecessary paperwork.

Thanks Upsy Daisy, Not too sure really what im doing as this is all so new. I guess its just the same as looking after my daughter but then writing up at the end what we did. Hope this is enough. I made cakes the other day with my little one which she did enjoy, and i know that my mindee likes baking so i may do this at least once per month.

How exciting!

Planning at this age is very loose - you can probablyachieve next steps with your continuous provision (the toys that you have out for the children to freely access).

I agree with Upsy Daisy - good advise!

When I worked as a CM I also did a very simple daily planning sheet that included-

What Katie did today

Headings were-breakfast,lunch,tea,snacks,Nappy change,Sleep times,What I enjoyed playing with today, Outdoor play and outings.

It might look a lot of work but it really wasnt. I use to just fill it in as things happened and parents liked it .

Good luck

The best thing I learned was to read, read, read the EYFS Practice Guidance - hope you've been given a copy. It tells how to identify what each child can do and how to prove it. And then what best practice is for supporting the child and how to plan for the child's next steps.

Don't think for a minute that I do mountains of written planning. But understanding the Practice Guidance helped me get a handle on what the setting should look like and how to support children's learning.

Also, in the last week or so, someone who is doing the EYPS uploaded a pamphlet about Early Year Schemas. I wish I had seen that a few years ago. I think its great for identifying children's needs and planning for them.

And the NCMA magazine Who Minds also has timely seasonal crafts and activities, and a calandar at the back for planning festivals and annual days.

Good luck with the childminding. It does get easier.

Honey

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)