Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents!

laura

Why Oh Why, do some parents think that they need to get their children recognising numbers and letters! We have a number of children aged from just 2 to 4 that supposedly know all letters and numbers. The youngest of these children is barely talking, and the oldest needs to learn how to put his coat on!

Am thinking a parent workshop is needed to teach them about the things that ar REALLY important.

Don't you find that these children are often like little robots, as they have been talked at rather than to, and have no common sense, can't respond to questions or give anything during circle time.

Aghhhhhh! (feel a bit better now :o )

I know that frustrated feeling.... I also have a few 'problems' with parents especially when it comes to outdoor play. These parents think that a little bit of wind or a spot of rain will actually do some serious damage! I get tired of explaining that it is part of our curriculum...

How do you manage this issue with your parents?

Happy parenting!

Claire

Yes a parent workshop sounds like a fantastic idea, but generally the ones you would like to turn up are the very ones that don't. Good practice is to send out a letter after the meeting to at least try to target them in another way.

We have sent out a letter in the past when these problems arose, something on the lines of what your child may take part in whilst with us. Will try and find it and post, just a thought.

Good battling you know it makes sense. :o

Easy there tigers...

I am one of those Mums! I am a special needs teacher, both of my children could read before they started school ....and they are well-adjusted, can put their own coats on and get very muddy and messy.

It is possible to do both and do it well. I have lots of research about children that read early and the determining factors are... being read to from 6 months of age, taking regular trips to the library and adults talking to children and answering their questions. Also children seeing adults as models who read and write all the time at home. My own Mum did all those things with me and I too could read before I started school- no harm done I don't think.

Hey-not a flashcard in sight!!

Some good books "Learning from children who read at an early age" and an old one which is I think by Tizard and Hughes describing a reserach project on talk in the home. can't find it and can't remember the name so that's helpful.

Some good books "Learning from children who read at an early age" and an old one which is I think by Tizard and Hughes describing a reserach project on talk in the home. can't find it and can't remember the name so that's helpful.

Well said Edlee!

I think this may be the book you mean, written by Rhona Stainthorpe and Diana Hughes.

Maz

Oh yes Edlee, we do have one or two 'all rounders' and there are some parents who are fab (me included, with my little boy that started school this term, lol). Just so many of them seem to baby their children, or are so obsessed with letters and numbers they forget about the other important stuf. Being able to find their own coat on a named peg would be a start (especially when it is a bright green one - i wondered if he'd ever noticed the colour!)

Yes I'm sure the parents who do things 'right' will be there at a workshop - a letter afterwards sound like a great idea.

Today, following their interest in builders and making maps, we have had a building yard outside - absolutely fantastic, so much got out of it. Inside I was doing the 3 little pigs story and asking them to help make plans for their houses which we are going to make in a giant 3D model next week. Yesterday I had no hope - draw a house - ha you must be joking. But today we had 5 that were house like with one little girl doing a fab drawing of a mummy wolf with long hair wearing gloves, a lovely brick house, sky and clouds! There may be hope yet!

Also, we do support those that are able to read and have our own reading scheme books. I was a Reception teacher before coming to Pre-school so I'm in a great position to advise parents. My 2 year old is having great fun 'learning' her brothers flashcards, insisting she has a go too!

Edited by laura

Laura, is there a cultural issue there?

We have several children who will be returning to India at some point in their early schooling, and some parents have been very clear that they do not like how education happens in India, but it is very much based on learning by rote, knowing the names of letters, numbers, colours - and that is what their children will need to know back home.

Hi i think we should always be careful to not tell parents whats right and wrong, but to share other options, ideas and thoughts is a completely different thing.

Parents can so easily be judged at every turn, but nobody is born knowing how to be a parent we learn as we go along.

:o