Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dfes Updated Information Found

Don't know if this will be of any interest to anyone but I have just come across this piece of information on the DFES website and thought I would share it with everyone.

This has been taken from the Children's Workforce Strategy which is a consultation document about the Government's plans to create and support a world-class children's workforce. The strategy is open for consultation until 22 July 2005 and they welcom comment on the Children's Workforce Strategy.

Sorry to be the boring one xD

Hope someone finds it of use :o

Live Consultations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early years regulations

We are planning to introduce, in October 2005, six sets of regulations relating to the provision of nursery education and under 8s day care and childminding. Two of these sets of regulations deal with Ofsted inspection arrangements, replacing existing regulations. A further set of regulations will amend the existing national standards regulations, including new requirements on complaints handling, and enabling the publication of an addendum to the current national standards documents. A draft of this addendum is also available for comment. Finally, three sets of regulations are about the suitability of people who wish to be involved in registered childcare, including who should be automatically disqualified from registration. The disqualification regulations will replace existing regulations. This consultation focuses on the inspection regulations. The other regulations were the subject of consultation last year, and subsequent changes reflect the results of that consultation and more recent legislation in the Children Act 2004. We have prepared partial assessments of the impact of these regulations and these documents are also available for comment.

Launch Date: 01 Apr 2005

Closing Date: 24 Jun 2005

Carolann :(:D

That wasn't sarcasm was it Hali!

For my part, I'm rushing off to the website now to consult!

Well maybe 'rushing' is a slight exageration!

Maz

Have just looked at the Children's Workforce strategy, and was intrigued by the questions asked in the consultation document. They're all very open ended, demanding more than a 'yes/no/tick this box' type of answer.

It could be a useful way to vent one's spleen to the policy makers (although I haven't read the document in any depth yet, so I don't know what's involved).

I wonder how many people reply to these consultation papers or whether its mainly organisations, EYDCPs etc?

Maz

There was a small article in Nursery World this week ( not sure if it's on their website). After just a quick glance at it, it appears that the vision of the early years "workforce" will be moving along similar practice to settings I visited in Sweden in the 1990's. The article talks of "Pedaguoge" ( sorry not sure of spelling) and not "curriculum". It looks at early years, schools, youth service, social care etc training to a "new" qualification framework that includes Strategic leadership, consultants, professionals, degree level practitioners, supervisors, practitioners and a baseline qualification level before entering the profession.

Their aim is to increase leadership skills, have better pay and retension and a wider multi-agency approach.

Degree level leaders in all day nursery's by 2015.

I personally found the Swedish training ( which is very different to ours- covered ages 0-90+, it included child development, social sciences, art, drama, literacy (in the broadest sense of childrens and students development of literacy), welfare of the whole community including the older generation - linked to early years in the community, and much more. The students who qualified mainly worked in early years settings with children aged 0-6/7 yrs, the "primary schools Year 1 set up was EXACTLY the same as the early years settings but with larger equipment ie: block play included long lengths of planks ( team work to manouvre), the only difference was that they had a whole room for role play, another for art/creativity, another for physical, a main class room - all interlinking with free access to each room throughout the day. WONDERFUL. I watched a child of 6 doing some writing, however his book was on the floor and he chose to lay over his chair to reach the book, this was acceptable, he was comfortable and enjoying his task. It would be great if we developed along these lines.

To teach in the primary school the students had to do another year of study. In the early years settings the pay scale was much, much higher than ours and the staff were recognised as valued as professionals. The provision is free to all parents it is funding through local taxes ( like our council taxes) which is "means tested" So, affluent people put more finance toward education than "poorer" families, but they all receive the same level of childcare and education services.

So, I suggest you all contact your local universities and get booked onto the next degree course.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)