Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ecers-argh!

blondie

I have the ecers-r book and actually it doesn't look too bad. We have EYQISP here in our County and I bought both so I could compare them. I'm not sure whether it's the new book though

I can speak both about the experience of being ECERS-ed and ECERS-ing if that makes sense. It is designed to be a supportive and affirming experience - it is as much about identifying what you do well as highlighting areas for development. You can look at the scales and get a feeling for where you are and where support might be needed you can easily identify what you need to do to achieve the next point of the scale.

We found it a very positive experience to go through, and it was good to get feedback from someone who could see the bigger picture, and genuinely wanted us to develop our practice. Auditors are on your side, trying to find as much evidence as possible to give you as high a score as possible.

Don't be too put out if your auditor starts going through drawers and cupboards looking at your resources - it is all part of ensuring they see everything they need to make a fair assessment of your environment.

Maz

I think ECERS is absolutely great!!

OK, we've done very well each time we've been 'done', but aside from that, as Maz says, it's a very supportive and useful exercise. It helps you to focus on areas you might otherwise miss, not out of complacency more that old adage 'familiarity breeds contempt' - "It's always been done that way/it aint broke, don't fix it!"

And don't be afraid to challenge findings - however, if you think they aren't seeing something they ought to, don't be afraid of bringing it to their attention during the visit! (This goes for OFSTED, too!)

Sue