Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jail!

Our preschoolers are currently obsessed with prison/jail and locking people up!

We want to therefore go with this interest....any of you wonderful people got any activity ideas or role play ideas? need to kick start my brain into action!

Jellytots

Thankyou, just placed an order on amazon for this! and burglar bill too!

its hard to think of activity ideas!

Especially when the choice of play is a bit different from the usual.....I suppose you could also extend into the idea of good and bad and then you can incorporate super hero play which most boys love

In my Nursery, we had a role play area outside of a police station - complete with jail that the children made by drawing black vertical lines on white paper. Also made wanted posters etc. - apparently I became wanted for keeping them out in the cold :o We also had clip-boards, note-pads etc. for the children to record any crimes that had happened. Also great cutting skill practice was making a jail to put a photocopied picture of burglar bill in - cut black paper into strips and stuck it down - my reluctant boys loved it.

Hi - we always put in our newsletters that if anyone has a job they would like to tell the children about then we would love to have you visit. A couple of years ago one of our Mums was prison warden ( guard) and her little girl was deparate for her mum to come in . We had a chat with her about this as she ( the mum ) sort of thought her job would be the last thing we meant and she came in and we had a very interesting time ! She showed them her handcuffs and talked about her job - one little chap was most interested to know if the prisoners spent all their time breaking rocks with big hammers ( like a chain gang ) - which did make us laugh ! She was very cautious not to scare them too much and we did feel she made it sound a bit tooo nice - like a big golly sleepover - but it was showing loads of diversity in terms of 'people who help us '!!!

She was very cautious not to scare them too much and we did feel she made it sound a bit tooo nice - like a big golly sleepover

Very interesting comment...of course she wouldn't want to scare them, very tricky to let them know that this not a place they want to go though. A jolly big sleepover :o:(xD

Finger prints and mugshots always good - making record cards ( using ICT to take the mugshots ad print them out or getting the children to draw them) and the fingerprints good for PSRN counting to ten etc. :o

Extending outside - car pound, emergency vehicles, role play. xD

Thanks! Some great ideas to get us all strated here. I can see myself off shopping for ink pads and padlocks this weekend! I have arranged for a visit from our local police community support officer for next week so that is something the children will really enjoy!

Thanks for all the ideas :)

we made walkie talkies last term and string telephones. also police cars...these are made from an upturned veg box. with an oval hole cut in it then painted and headlights etc put on . the children step into it and put their hands around the box and off they go! we did have lots of people wanting to shoot others and had to have a long conversation about the fact that most police in england do NOT carry guns!

p.s. if you have children with ASD in your group i would be careful using the padlocks/keys idea as you may cause a bit of a problem for their parents! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)