Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Are You Ready For Your Inspection?

Hi everyone

Just on the OFSTED website and they have their up to date ''Are you ready for your inspection?'' March 2005 available for download

It is 23 pages long and has information from how OFSTED NOW inspect to Self-evaluation forms.

www.ofsted.gov.uk

Carolann :o

Thanks for that Posh, I found out yesterday that as part of us using a room at the local primary Ofsted are coming to us in 2 weeks time.  :o  :D

28613[/snapback]

Good Luck Rea

I will be thinking of you, let me know how you get on

Carolann xD

Maybe there's a Forum-lurking Ofsted employee who has been reading all our posts complaining about them, and all of the whingers among us will be getting a visit!

(I often wonder who the 'guests' are when I look at who is on the site, now I know).

Since they know Rea's leaving, they've chosen her first!

I'd just like to say that I think Ofsted are the most wonderful organisation I've ever dealt with.

I'd like to, but I can't.

Good luck Rea - I hope it will go well.

Maz

I've read it. Cant see any changes except the grading, which is much clearer. It appears simple, especially the self evaluation form, but I'm not too sure about how we help children to make a positive contribution to the setting and the wider community. I'm ok on the setting bit but wider community? Do they mean caring for/respecting the local environment in general or singing at the old folks home? :o:D Any questions and I will put them to the inspector on your behalf on the 19th. :D

Hi Rea

I must say I agree about telling Ofsted about what you need to improve and why: Inspectors are much more likely to be on your side if they think you're aware of your own strengths and weaknesses, and how to tackle them.

Ofsted inspectors must be well aware when groups are 'putting on a show' for their benefit, so it must be refreshing for them to talk to people who are not out to prove they're God's gift to childcare. Of course they still need to find something to criticise, but at least you're cutting down their options!!

As for the 'community question, I would take it to mean links with the local community in general: visiting local places of worship, inviting the local vet in etc - but do let me know if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick (again).

My daughter's Guide pack has been Carol singing at a local old folks' home for the past few years. I'm not saything they can't sing, but they've closed it down!

Maz

My copy just arrived along with the poster for parents that we are told to display. I'd seen both already on the website. Am I alone in feeling a bit uncomfortable about the poster? We already display the Complaints Procedure with the OFSTED contact number on. This is taking things a bit further I think. Though, to be fair, it does suggest parents contact them about good provision as well as about concerns. I'd like to think they would. Any comments? :o

I agree, when I saw the poster on their site my initial reaction was 'I dont want that'. I suppose they are making sure everyone is aware of who to complain to after the backlash that hit them when the Nurseries uncovered was aired, this way they cant say it's their fault if something goes wrong because they've publised how to complain. Covering their own backs I think. :o:D

Got mine today too, I felt the same as previous comments about the poster. I would have liked the questions in a different order with, Is the childcare good? as the last on the list, then.... if you want to tell us ring........

It is so easy to complain and so easy to forget to praise.

I wonder if the Ofsted person receiving complaints asks if the complainer is aware of and has followed the settings complaints procedure, because I think that if the complainer says no, without a valid/strong reason then this should be taken into account when judgeing the validity of the complaint.

My complaints procedure has quite a few steps to be taken to ensure all have a fair opportunity to air grievances and to respond and/or act upon them, but if parents don't follow this, and just phone the very available number (on the poster), especially if feeling "angry", disgruntled" etc, then what would be the point of having procedures?

Peggy

I agree with Peggy

Sadly when I had my last inspection and the parents filled in their comments sheets one parent decided to send hers directly (she did not inform me of this and said that she had lost her form)

When the inspector arrived it was one of the first things she brought up. I was so upset (I'm sure I went bright red) AND as for what my stomach was doing is another matter. :o

Having to cope with the inspection was enough on its own but to have a parent do that (and one who I got on well with) OR SO I thought just sent me in to a panic.

The parent had complained that ''the parents were not keep informed enough''. I should add that we have a similar complaints system to Peggys so if I've ever had a problem (and thank goodness up till then I had not) then we normally dealt with it.

We have a notice board just for parents. A monthly newsletter a parents evening each term. End of term updates, end of term reports to parents and the child's next school. School visits where the new teacher visits us. Parent groups, comments box, keyworker system and home link book.

For my part the inspector could clearly see that levels of communication with parents was high and that all the other comments from the other 15 parents showed this. She asked me how I dealt with this situation?!!!!!! To which I had no choice to reply that this was the first I had heard of it...... I informed her that I would meet with the parent and discuss things with her.

After the inspection (which I pleased to say we passed with flying colours :( ) I arranged to meet with the parent. We had a good heart to heart and it turned out that she had been having problems with her husband and was not in a particular good mood when she filled the form in xD . We went on to discuss what more I could do to communicate more effectively with her to which she replied maybe if I come in more to drop my child off instead of my husband I might feel more involved. :(

As Peggy pointed out WHAT ON EARTH is the point of a complaints system if parents on a whim phone the number on the poster!!!!!!!!!!!! Before they even discuss things with you.......... HEAD AND BRICK WALL SPRING TO MIND HERE

I sympathise with you, Poshprincess!

One of our parents made some very negative comments on her Ofsted questionnaire, which we brought to the Inspector's attention. The Inspector said the parent must "have had an off day" when she filled out the questionnaire, since no other parent had commented in this way. The comment was specifically about observations of children, and the Inspector said she was very impressed with the quality and frequency of observations, and the use we made of them in our plannig.

The following day we received a letter from said parent saying she was taking her child out of our nursery (although the child would still attend for one session) because she was having problems with childcare (bridging the gap between collection time from nursery and the end of mum's working day). Her letter thanked us for everything we'd done for her children, she couldn't be happier with the quality and it was no reflection on our nursery at all.

Parents! Oodavum?

Maz

again i think its one of those thigs that we all have in our settings.................... our accreditation was the same sent out questionaires to all 54 parents, got 37 back all ok or good exept one (i showed it to our inspector and she just smiled, patted me on th arm and said you always get one dear, just have a quiet word after the inspection) :D

A parent complained to Ofsted that we were never in correct staff:child ratios and that we made the children eat their food on the floor if they had been 'naughty' :oxD

Ofsted came unannounced to investigate the complaint, now i knew the accusations were untrue but how the hell could i prove it, they checked ratios on arrival which were fine, but they began to bring up other complaints ~ why did we make up weetabix with water (we dont!) why do we lock children in the garden to punish them (we dont!!) why do we make children play in the garden without shoes (we dont!!!)

I couldnt believe what i was hearing and demanded to know which parent had made these complaints, she kept saying it was confidential info but eventually she told me............... the parent in question had left six months before!!!!

I asked her why the validity of the complaint wasn't checked, she said it was assumed only parents who use the nursery would complain!!

The thing that bugs me the most is that, as far as i am aware these complaints will be recorded on my next inspection report as they were never disproved :(:(:(

Oh Lucy, don't go there!!!,

I had a complaint against me, Dragged a child by the hood of sweatshirt ( I didn't).

Unnanounced visit 1. ended with a non compliance order standard 14 documantation complaints procedure not good enough ( it was passed- not changed on a subsequent inspection)

unnanounced visit 2. to see if I had complied... new non compliance order.. standard 14 documentation.. one out 60+ registration forms not signed.

Unnanounced visit 3. (Friday 2:30 pm we close at 3:15 pm THREE INSPECTORS checked all paperwork, a staffs signature missing from an accident report from 3 months previous- not picked up before) non compliance order standard 14 documentation with a possible fine of £5,000.

I asked about the original complaint, how were investigations going, what was the outcome, these THREE inspectors didn't know!.

I chased it up myself with the complaints department, I also talked to the parent of the child I was supposed to have hurt, The parent knew nothing about it. I asked Ofsted why they hadn't talked to the parent in their investigations, they said it was confidential :o . I asked the parent to write a letter to say she had no concerns, the "complaint" is still on file as, in my view "Guilty until proved innocent" no futher action at this time.

Peggy

Peggy

Another one of those "if they wrote it in a soap opera you'd say it was unbelievable" scenarios.

How on earth did you approach the parent who was supposed to have complained against you? It must be very hard to maintain a cool professional attitude in a situation such as this.

I'm a little puzzled about the 'confidentiality' issue. I can understand why they might not tell you who had complained, but not telling the family concerned is taking things a little too far.

As for the Inspectors, what can I say? I know they have their job to do, but I'm not sure what the threat of a large fine (probably enough to close most sessional groups down, I'd have thought) would achieve. Except to make us all so paranoid about getting the paperwork right, we forget what we're really here for.

Has this all been sorted or is it still hanging over your head?

Your experience leads me to think there's little to choose between being an Ofsted inspector and a traffic warden/clamper.

With apologies for the slur on traffic wardens...

Maz

It was easy to appraoch the parent, I had been working with her supporting her with her daughter who has ADHD, it wasn't the parent who complained to Ofsted it was ( although only hearsay, a disgruntled university student, emloyed on a temporary basis who wanted what she thought was an easy job for the summer holidays. She didn't work within the team, was very lazy and therefore wasn't given any more work when her contract ran out :o

It was not resolved in my eyes, when Ofsted recieved the letter from the childs parent saying she was more than happy with her childs experiences at preschool, they wrote a letter to me just stating they had the parents view point and the original complaint was to be held on file.

Peggy