Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hairy Maclary

Not sure if I have posted in the correct area.... (just joined lol)

Does anybody have any ideas on group literacy activities I can do with my reception class relating to the Hairy Maclary from Donaldson Dairy book or along those lines / dogs etc. I need a speaking and listening activity in there sometime, my minds on a total blank!!

Thanks!!

Welcome yes!

I know the book very well, it's one a few in the series. I the past I've used it for children to think of other words that sound the same as 'hay', 'spots', 'tum' 'boney' etc. we've also thought of other words that could be used to describe other dogs or cats and other rhyming words for those.

Make Wiener Schnitzel (Von Crumb). My little minded children love it!

Where Donaldson's Dairy might be? Wow, that's a long way away! Why so many New Zealanders have Scottish names? Other places Scots migrated to en masse. Does anyone have any family living in other parts of the world? Did anyone come to this country from another? Make a web by pinning strings into a map of the world showing migration and immigration.

Honey

Seeing as it is speaking and listening could you do some laminated picture cards either of the characters themselves from the book or from google images of dogs and use them to describe their dog for the rest of the group?

If you had two sets you could have one set face up on the mat spread out and then in turn one child would describe their card/dog to the rest who. looking at the picture cards on the mat would have to guess which character/dog it was. Description language is quite a challenge but once they get the idea they could fly with it.

Don't know it that is useful, if the children really know the characters well then simply saying 'my dog has a very low tum' may be enough of a clue!

Bring in some soft toy dogs and try to make names up for them in the style of the story. Would involve describing the dog and thinking of a rhyming name e.g 'this dog's black with a red collar- let's call him Donald Dollar'

Make 'Lost, have you seen this dog?" posters, with description of dog.

ah brill thank you! i think because of where my children are up to at this early stage in the year, I may try the describing a dog by the laminated cards...its worth a try anyway ha ha. thank you all so much xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)