Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Woodwork Area

Hello i work in a packaway pre-school setting and like the idea of creating a woodwork area for the children,im not to sure on where to start or what equipment is best to get any advice would great thank you

We have a fantastically old wooden work bench with a vice think it probably came from somewhere like AtoZ supplies or Galts. We ordered a box of light woods which enabled the children to saw with ease. We have a hammer, saw, sandpaper, screwdriver all real but small size and the children love this activity. Maybe worth a try at your local timbers yard if you have one for off-cuts etc, but do choose woods that children can hammer, saw with some ease.

We sit all the children down and explain the activity, and the rules and boundaries within our setting to enable their safety at all times.

I have to say i love it love it love it but it frightens a lot of my staff when i mention the word woodwork.

Have fun. xD:o:(

If you want to do an easy starter try bying cheap pumpkins after halloween and use golf tees to hammer in! :( i would advise against hammers that are too light as you need some weight to get the nails into wood.....i gave a child a real hammer to work on the 'tap a shape' today....the childrens faces were a picture!!! must do some more woodwork me thinks :oxD

If you want to do an easy starter try bying cheap pumpkins after halloween and use golf tees to hammer in!

We do this every year (its about the only activity we repeat year in year out because the children love it so!).

When we went to the Communication Friendly Spaces conference we saw some pretty novel ways of introducing 'woodwork' including using hand drills on cardboard boxes. There's a photograph of it in the gallery here.

Maz

Thank you for your replies im struggling to find a workbench which will be ideal for children anyone know where to get one from? as i have spoken to my staff some think it is a great idea some abit unsure but i am going to get parents views on woodwork in setting and bring it into practice asap .

Early Years Work Bench........TTS catalogue.It's £228 plus vat and i'm looking to buy one for my children

You can find it here.

It is rather lovely - would be great to have one in my setting. Doesn't look very portable though, for a packaway group. :o

EY02962.jpg

Maz

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)