Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Frustrated About New Job

Hi,

I'm new here, hoping for some of your wisdom.

Until recently, I have been working in a beautiful children's centre with a very supportive and amazing manager. Alas it was only a temp. position and I had to leave.

I quickly found a new job at a privately owned and managed nursery. The interview was VERY informal and I was surprised when I was offered the job (at this point the manager hadn't seen any ID, proof of qualifications or CRB check). Well I did accept, even though I had reservations. Since then I have found out a lot of things that upset me. The manager doesn't agree with the EYFS and I'm getting very frustrated trying to explain the importance of Observations for Planning. When I asked on my first day what to put out, I got shrugged shoulders and were told just to pick sth from 'over there'.

The manager also doesn't like messy play at all and so they never use it! They won't even uncover the sandpit when it's been raining (and def not go out while it's even drizzling) This is so different to working in the public sector where we implement the EYFS fully and in all it's messy beauty. There is no sillyness, it's all very calm, children are told to walk slowly and speak quietly inside (we're talking 2-3 year olds).

Every time I make a suggestion the staff get very defensive and I now feel no-one likes me there (apart from the children who are finally having some fun). The only staff member who understands all this is the one who is leaving (out of the same frustration).

I have only just been given a contract (despite having worked there for 2 weeks), and it says my notice period is 3 months (!) and also mentions no extra pay for the weekly (hourly) staff meetings. I haven't had a proper induction and had to ask for everything (policies etc) myself.

I just don't know whether to stay for the children's sake. Will I get the staff 'round to the EYFS etc or should I just go now?

sorry to rant, but I just don't know what to do...

Titania

Hi Titania

What is your position within the nursery? Were you hired to change practice and do you have responsibility to lead others?

It does sound as if there are lots of issues here that a person with your obvious talents and passion for the job could get their teeth into. Do you see any glimmer of a chance that things might change? If not then you would really be bashing your head against a brick wall for very little return, and if it were me I would definitely consider my options at this early stage. If your gut instinct is telling you to run for the hills screaming then I would seriously listen to your inner voice.

However, if you can see any member of the team who might see things your way or if you really think the owner could be brought round to see the benefits of the EYFS then I'm sure you could stay put and have a great impact on the setting's practice.

Ultimately only you can make this decision - but if you do move on I feel sure you will find a group who will glady reap the rewards of hiring you.

Good luck - let us know what you decide!

Maz

From what you say, it really sounds as if you know the answer. If you have not signed your contract you probably can not be held to it if you voice your reservations now.

It doesnt really sound as if you think this job is for you and the children will not ease your frustrations longterm. But as maz says only you can really decide what you should do but do think of your mental health!

Good luck.

Hi Titania

Is the manager of the setting also the owner ? To have accepted the position, I would have thought there must have been many positives outlined about the setting, which they are clearly not delivering (maybe a case for your contract not being enforcable!).

Having read their policies, what do they say about the EYFS, observations, planning, creativity etc? Armed with the information in their policies, I think I would ask to speak to the manager who interviewed you and ask for clarification on the settings ethos. If they are not following the EYFS and are not providing the very basics of nursery resources to support 'messy play', I would have thought they are on very rocky ground with regard to Ofsted. If they are adament that they are providing good provision for children, and are not open to reflection about how to improve, I would have thought for your sanity/professionalism maybe this is not the best place for you. And sadly, certainly not the children!

I feel I must say also, as a practitioner who is currently working through an agency at various children's centres in the public sector, I have been dismayed at some of the practice I have witnessed. On the other hand, I have worked with extreemly passonate and dedicated private providers offering outstanding provision. I believe it certainly isn't a case of public sector better than private, it is purely a 'people thing'.

Good luck with whatever you decide Titania.

Hi Titania and welcome :o

I agree totally with Maz's comments as always full of common sense and wisdom. Only you can decide about possible visions for changes, or if your going to be slogging a dead horse as the saying goes, but whatever you decide i do hope you find a provision that will use your obvious skills and expectations for good practice. xD

Guest jenpercy

When wre they last OFSTEDed? Look them up and read last report. If we as a provider for 4-11 years with 5% 4 year olds after school can be criticised for not doing enough for EYFS, then it sounds to me that they have somehow escaped Inspection. I understand that all settings must have been RAGed by now (Assessed by local authority) you could ask to see that, as a member of staff you should be involved in quality improvement. (I wish, but that's another story)

As far as the contract goes, I have been told that thiws clause is virtually unenforceable. Members of staff must be paid all monies owed to them at time of leaving - and all the owner can do is take them to court for any financial loss suffered by their leaving!!! (I'm an owner-manager)

Hi, check your contract, there would normally be a probationary period of about a month during which time either employer or employee can choose not to take the permanent contract.

I guess the question is whether you want to (whether you're in a position to?) cause change from within for the children's sake, or whether you'd rather go somewhere that is as you'd like it to be already.

Good luck!

Maz you are quite right, it isnt a statutory requirement but it is a 'should'. The new code of practice says:

To establish a transparent, consistent process for identifying the highest quality providers across all sectors, local authorities should use quality improvement and support programmes to categorise the quality of settings in their area. (section 4.1)

How they do this however, does vary from LA to LA. Hopefully Titania's LA has something in place which can support quality improvement.

How they do this however, does vary from LA to LA. Hopefully Titania's LA has something in place which can support quality improvement.

That's what I meant really mundia - the whole Red Amber Green thing that I thought jenpercy was referring to.

Thank you so much for all your encouraging replies! I have requested a meeting with the manager, which will take place tomorrow pm. Hopefully this will clarify things for me. My gut instinct is to run away fast, but I wanted to give her a chance to talk first.

will keep you posted.

x Titania

Hi-

re the contract: irrespective of what your contract "says" IF you decided that it wasn't for you the fact that you have been there less than a month would mean you only need to give one weeks notice. Further the fact that you have only just got the contract is really irrelevent- you have an implied contract by just turning up. It sounds to me that they are probably not fulfilling their own side of the contract (inductions etc) so would imagine what you actually have in your hand is simply a peice of paper and is in fact worthless- on both sides.

Secondly should you decide today- enough is enough it is worth bearing in mind from a "legal" point of you (forget the morals for a moment) that there is very little they could do. It would be a fruitless and expensive exercise for them to chase you for any compensation.