Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Low Fsp Scores

Hi Sandra, its an awful feeling when this happens isnt it?

I think what you need to do now is look at your figures, where exactly were the figures low and think about where you are going next. Its also helpful to look at what is happening on entry and consider why progress may have been less in some areas.

If you are able to enlighten us more (without giving us exact details) there are many members here who might be able to offer some sensible advice.

Oh dear Sandra how upsetting for you all.

As mundia says, if you can give us some more details we will do our best to help you

Thank you for replying.

I have looked over the figures tonight. I think I could have awarded 6 more children extra points which would have made a total of 9/22 achieving an ovrall score of 6. But these chn were not forming letters correctly, didnt know at least 20 key words just to name a few. Many of them were on scale point 5, perhaps I was too harsh and should have just given them the point. God I wish I had as now Im going to pay a heavy price.

I too am feeling the pressure of upping my grades this year - without losing the good practice of child led activities.

Why do you say they need to know 20 words on sight? Did your sch impose this number?

Some of my scores look low too, especially where they are averaged out, I am well below authority av as apparently they have to achieve 6 in each area of PHSE or CLLD or PRSN to achieve an overall 6. Will never make it with writing!!

I think I am harsh too, head doesn't want me to be lenient though as it impacts on value added further up school - at least she says that then wants to 'discuss' results so she can explain lower scores to the SIP

I go over and over and over assessment in June to fine tune my perception and interpretation of different scale points, before finally submitting it.

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Sandrac

I don't know your setting or children but I would strongly suggest you get a base line now of where your cohort are on entry into school.....the e-profile lets you enter information in months so you could get your initial assessments in for September and then you will be able to show how the children have made progress...you may have the lowest score in your LEA but your children may have had a low on entry score so they may have made good progress......don't be hard on yourself if you have done your best thats the way it is

Tinkerbell

Hi sandra.

Have you looked at which scales your children did not get 6 points, or are you talking about all of the PSE and CLL scales?

Then there are a couple of ways to analyse your data, one of which you are doing already.

1. Check that your were fair in your judgments, check with the guidance for what is covered by each point and if necessary ask one of your LA moderating team to come in, or have a chat with.

2. Look at where your weakest points were and consider your provision.. are there things for example that you're not currently doing but could be, or things that you are missing seeing children do?

3. Are the any striking features of particular groups that are underachieving (boys, summer born, etc). We did this and found that although all of our chidlren were EAL, it was boys in a particular ethnic group that was doing significantly worse than others, and skewed the results quite dramatically.

4. Once you can identify whats going on, you can then start thinking about what you can do about it.Im sure there are plenty of members here who might ideas on that.

Good luck with it

Many of them were on scale point 5, perhaps I was too harsh and should have just given them the point.

When you say this I'm assuming you mean they had achieved 5 scale points overall and that you weren't thinking that they had to achieve them in order (eg. they didn't have point 6 so you felt you couldn't award point 7).

Also I too am wondering about the 20 key words thing. Which profile point were you using this as a criteria for? Is it scale point 6 for reading? That mentions 20 words, but I don't think you have to be completely rigid about it, although someone with more experience of the profile might correct me on that!

Also regarding the correct letter formation, most teachers I've seen (maybe not those here, but I think they might be the exception!) seem to award the point just for recognisable letters, not precise formation because I have a class full of children who have achieved this point and yet don't form their letters correctly (but they are recognisable as that letter). It was the same last year in a different school.

As someone else said, I'd make sure you get a really accurate baseline recording now so that you can show how much progress they have made at the end of the year, particularly if they come in very low.

Also regarding the correct letter formation, most teachers I've seen (maybe not those here, but I think they might be the exception!) seem to award the point just for recognisable letters, not precise formation because I have a class full of children who have achieved this point and yet don't form their letters correctly (but they are recognisable as that letter). It was the same last year in a different school.

I was told exactly this at my moderation meeting in June. As long as the letter written down is recognisable, then it is formed correctly. The same with 'holds a pencil and uses it effectively...' This just means they are able to write letters - they don't have to hold it correctly - although this would obviously be more desirable.

I wouldn't award the point unless I had observed the child using the correct sequence of movements no matter how recognisable the finished letter looked and if the letters are formed correctly I would accept that the pencil grip must be effective

I wouldn't award the point unless I had observed the child using the correct sequence of movements no matter how recognisable the finished letter looked and if the letters are formed correctly I would accept that the pencil grip must be effective

Thats how I always scored that one too!

Same here!!

Letter formation is based on the fact that the previous age/stage expectation is retracing vertical lines and making anticlockwise movements, so the expectation of the scale point is that they apply this to letter formation. Just making approximate shapes is not enough. It's about being able to form letters correctly.

I can't recall the criteria for the reading point (6??)but there is a stipulation re number of common words I think (handbook at work and strategies site down so can't check)so this is part of the expected criteria for awarding the point.

Good advice from Mundia.

Cx

Same here regarding letter formation would need to be more letters then not correctly formed. I think in the reading it does say for both knowing the sounds and words knows most of them again more than not. I just wish someone would re write the profile as the reading and writing are hard points and they often have 2 criteria and sometimes 3 to all achieve before they get the point yet PRSN number they just have to count 3 objects and then 6 objects and then count. In writing they have to write their name and other words why can't it just be a point for writing their name as thats a big step in itself. Even in creative we often do not give point 7/8?we were told at moderation we could not give it as they have to show imagination in the different aspects of dance, music, role play, imagination,art.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)