Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wow!

Well like many of you i like reading OFSTED reports. I was trying to find a good out of schoolOFSTED report and an inadequate one to give to manager so she can see the way OFSTED work/inspect (if thats poss!!).

Boy did i find an inadequate one...

was inspected...inadequate...inspected again few months later...inadequate...inspected about month later (no report this time but an official letter)...saying the improvement was inadequate and then inspected a few months later to say things had improved. As far asb I can tell not once was it closed! Is it actually a last resort ie only if it was a serious safeguarding issue?

Anybody know of a setting that was closed by OFSTED?

Makes me laugh the number of times i read that OFSTED has failed to be notified about change in committee but on this occassion OFSTED have decided not to prosecute!What with OFSTED track record of losing docs (see my other thread!!). Again has anyone known of a committee being prosecuted?

Hi Marley

Now you have me wondering how good was the contrasting report you looked at!?

Personally I try not to think of the word/organisation called O*s*e* very often. They turn up once in a blue moon, do thier thing and go and thats all the thinking time I like to give to them ever. Complete waste of space all of them.

BMG

Hi Marley

I opened my nursery six years ago and took over from an existing nursery that was very poor quality and was failing both as a nursery and a business. I closed the nursery for a week and opened under a new name, new registration with Ofsted and mostly new staff.

The 'old' nursery had been inspected by Ofsted repeatedly and had 'failed' time and time again (they didn't give the inadequate etc rating in those days). Apparently, Ofsted used to turn up about every 3 months, inspect the nursery and issue a notice to improve but never closed them down. Eventually they told the Local Authority that the Early Education Grant must be withdrawn as the setting were not meeting the criteria on many levels. The nursery would have closed without grant funding and this is the point where I stepped in. So I suppose Ofsted didn't close them down but their recommendation to the Local Authority would have prevented the setting from continuing.

I'm happy to say that six years down the line, after a lot of hard work, we are full with a waiting list and were found to be 'outstanding' and 'good' by Ofsted last year!!

Beehive

Thats fantastic Beehive! Well done to you!

This school club would not have been funded (I dont think!) but I didnt realise how bad things could actually get. Would OFSTED not have been able to shut them down then? Would they have just carried on going in every few months?

I think it gave our manager of our setting a huge sigh of relief. We are getting there slowly and we have a huge action plan that we are slowly but surely working through together with her. Just unfortunate in that it seems to be the same 3 committee members doing all the work while the others just like to express their views a lot...committees dont you just love them!!??

Would just like to turn the club around with not only the kids enjoying it but the staff too!

I don't know if Ofsted would have shut them down - like you say, how long could it have gone on?! I think it was always an issue of quality rather than anything dangerous or illegal happening so maybe that's why it dragged on for so long.

Keep going with your action plan - if Ofsted can see you're putting things in place and working towards your goals they will be happy. I've never worked with a committee but it must be really hard if not everyone is working with the same aims in mind..or are just not that bothered!

You have the support of all the lovely people on the Forum!

Beehive

• 2 weeks later...

I have known them to close a childminder down until they investigated, they were closed for 5 days then allowed to open again, this was due to safeguarding issues, thankfully she gave up a few months later, ironically she is working in a school now!!!