Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help!

Hi all, Hope u r all well. Problem.....Thanking u all in advance for taking the time to read this. I completed the first year of the Fda in Childcare and Education at a college (College shall remain nameless) last year, unfortunately at the end when i called in to speak to my tutor to receive my results she was very audible and animated over the phone used some very choice words to tell me that i had not passed the first year, this abuse (strong word i know) lasted a whole week from this tutor calling me every day until i finally blew my top and put in a formal complaint. To date know one from this college has apologized for the treatment i received, it took another year for me to finally meet with another tutor who skimmed over my folder admitted that i had passed aside from one piece of work and it had also come to light that this tutor had not handed in one piece of work for whatever reason, then also said i handed in work everytime for a whole year (that i was paying for this course myself) why would i hand in work late? and would this not have been picked up? The be all and end all of this is that on meeting with a new tutor a year later because of ONE piece of work they would like me to repeat the first year!!! unbelieveable!!! I am now constantly receiving phonecalls and threatening letters as they are now telling me that i have to pay for the second year(that i did not attend) as they have me down as an attendee, i then further queried this and they are now telling me that i have been having tutorials which have never even been offered to me....I writing this up as i'm so fed up with it all and wish that i had never even bothered to attempt to do a degree had no idea i would end with all this mess and trouble, i not a very confident person and all this certainly knocked me some more. Please help, words of advice would be great. Where do i go? What do i do next?

Didn't want to read and run. It's a horrible situation but I don't know how you can move forward. I really feel for you because this isn't just about the money it's about time and opportunity too, all of which have been denied you.

I hope you do find a way to address this and that you go on to complete your FD somehow, somewhere.

Presumably your Foundation Degree is being offered at college but is governed by a University? Have you tried talking to them about your situation? Or your tutor's boss?

Sounds like a bit of a mess to put it mildly. Hope you get it sorted.

Maz

Gosh what an awful situation.

I totally understand you anger and frustration. During my OU study I was penalised on one assignment for a technicality. The tutor commented that the work was worthy of an 'A' but she had marked me down to a 'B'. Trouble was the technicality was something I had checked with OU headquarters and had followed their advice. I felt very hard done by :o and complained following the OU procedures. The outcome (eventually!) was that my assignment was re-marked taking into account I had sought advice and followed it to the letter and I was awarded the 'A' grade my assignment was worth.

Initially I was cross and frustrated but when I calmed down I went through everything in logical sequence and wrote it down before complaining.

I know your situation is far greater than mine but if I were you I would, even at this rather late stage, not let things rest. I would write a chronological list of events with dates where possible, starting with when you signed up for the degree, all your work submitted etc and include the phone calls and all the meetings you have had.

To be told by a second tutor that you have passed apart from one piece of work (is this the piece your tutor did not submit?) and then to be told you need to re-do the whole first year is ludicrous. As for paying for your second year I am not sure what your obligations are. It will probably depend on any paper work (and the small print) of any documents you signed. HOwever, I think you owe them absolutely nothing after the atrocious way you have been treated

It is a shame so much time has passed and if it were me I would not want to continue studying with this institution. I would want an apology and a refund for any monies paid and then I would consider doing the FD with another institution.

My waffle at the start of this message was just meant as a kind of illustration that you can 'take on' tutors/universities and prove they make mistakes (like anyone else!) and there can be a positive outcome.

However, you choose to handle it is of course up to you but I think getting 'closure' on the whole sad situation would be the first step in enabling you to put it all behind you and move on.

The positive is that you know you can achieve the required level of academic writing and I would take your study experience, pick yourself up, dust yourself down and choose another university. Sorry your confidence has taken a knock but I hope you will study for your degree - you know you are capable and it would be such a shame to let this experience put you off.

Do let us know how it goes and good luck

Hi, I just Googled for you and this is what came up. Good luck; I do think you have been treated dispically (sp) and it must have knocked your confidence. Goodness me we should be encouraging people to stay in this profession and better themselves not frightening them off!! Makes you wonder how they treat the learners straight out of school! Smacks of bullying and/or harrassment to me!

How do I complain about a university or college?

You first need to take up your complaint locally. The university or college can tell you how to do that. You can ask them for a leaflet that will have the details. Most complaints can be resolved quickly in this way.

If you are not satisfied after that, some universities and colleges will allow someone outside the organisation to look at the case. You can get details from the university or college.

If your complaint is about misleading information in a prospectus, you can appeal to the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education - www.qaa.org.uk

Thank you so much for your replies. Will defo take up your advice and will keep you posted. Again thank you all so much. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

My husband works for a university so I asked him. His only suggestion is Trading Standards. How awful that universities and colleges do not seem to have a body like Ofsted that they have to answer to!

My husband works for a university so I asked him. His only suggestion is Trading Standards. How awful that universities and colleges do not seem to have a body like Ofsted that they have to answer to!

but colleges do have Ofsted Inspections...there was one at the college my son went to when he was there.. they talked to the students a lot as he came home having had a 'chat' with them -

and a 'University Ofsted report' search seems to bring up reports for them -

not sure how much they have to answer to though..

Inge

but colleges do have Ofsted Inspections...there was one at the college my son went to when he was there.. they talked to the students a lot as he came home having had a 'chat' with them -

and a 'University Ofsted report' search seems to bring up reports for them -

not sure how much they have to answer to though..

Inge

I have just finished my foundation degree and I was taught at college but registered with college and uni. The college did have an Ofsted inspection when I attended so there must be some advice that Ofsted can give you regarding complaints. It seems as if you have been treated disgracefully and you will feel better if you sort the situation out. It may also prevent other people having to go through a similar experience.

As others have said you need to be contacting the University if you can't sort it with the college- and maybe even if you can. they should be aware of the situation. Check out the programme leaders name on the website and contact them.You deserve better than this and I hope you go on to study elsewhere and rise above this dreadful situation.Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I have just finished my foundation degree and I was taught at college but registered with college and uni. The college did have an Ofsted inspection when I attended so there must be some advice that Ofsted can give you regarding complaints. It seems as if you have been treated disgracefully and you will feel better if you sort the situation out. It may also prevent other people having to go through a similar experience.

As others have said you need to be contacting the University if you can't sort it with the college- and maybe even if you can. they should be aware of the situation. Check out the programme leaders name on the website and contact them.You deserve better than this and I hope you go on to study elsewhere and rise above this dreadful situation.Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Oh my goodness thank goodness for this forum......Thank you all so much for your support and advice.......shall defo keep you all posted. MWAH.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. This colleges that do these things and get away with it should have a name and shame board.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)