Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Floor Books

Ha! I had my yellow food colouring all looked out, that'll show me eh!

And yes, it is just a general summary, but we do sort of do the book 'as we go along' but we do do it nearly every day :) the process of the planning would probably come more into our mind maps and thinking spots, using them to gather the information the children want to find out or know already, we dont really record this anywhere expect for in observations. xD Might need to rethink that slightly...

Think thats the beauty of the book, you can add in anything you want without it being to formal. At the start we included 'what we know, what we want to learn and how were going to it' bits plus an evaulation but found this quite difficult with the younger ones, however the older children still do that in their books. :o

Nikki x

And yes, it is just a general summary, but we do sort of do the book 'as we go along' but we do do it nearly every day :) the process of the planning would probably come more into our mind maps and thinking spots, using them to gather the information the children want to find out or know already

Thank you for clarifying Nikki xD So you do mind maps with the children at the start of a topic, and the floor books are for summarising the subsequent learning?

I love the style of your books by the way. The handwriting is very impressive! :o

Yup thats a good way of explaing it, why didnt i just say that at the start... :(

I love the style of your books by the way. The handwriting is very impressive! :o

And thank you!! xD Thank you muchly!!

Hope ive helped a little!

Nikki x

Love all these ideas...i'm just about to embark on my very own learning wall, but will defo incorporate some of these ideas into it!

I will upload a picture once its up and running!x

Those are fab Nikki, thanks for sharing. Its really helped to put it into 'reality'.

Know what you mean about 'defacing' the children, it seems personal doesn't it.

If you can open your pictures in 'Paint' you can 'spray paint' or block out children's faces, that's quite simple. Then save your picture with a new name so you don't damage your original. You may find you need to compress your picture to make it easier to upload, and without knowing your system it's hard to advise which method is easiest for you.

Then simply go to 'Add reply' at the bottom, rather than 'fast reply' and you'll get a box to upload your file into. Click on 'Browse' find your newly created picture and click on it. Then click 'Upload' and that's it, it should be there when you post your reply

Ooooops!! Was so focused on getting the pics up that i forgot to say thank you! :o x

If you already do a learning wall, is there any point doing a floor book?

My learning walls are very similar to the photos in your floor book with quotes, photos, children's work. I have my wall in the cloakroom so that parents can see it every day and add to it when they want.

Maybe I could do everything on a smaller scale and them when i change my wall I could transfer the stuff to a floor book.

What do you think?

I kind of feel i'm already doing the floor book, just in a different format.

If you already do a learning wall, is there any point doing a floor book?

My learning walls are very similar to the photos in your floor book with quotes, photos, children's work. I have my wall in the cloakroom so that parents can see it every day and add to it when they want.

Maybe I could do everything on a smaller scale and them when i change my wall I could transfer the stuff to a floor book.

What do you think?

I kind of feel i'm already doing the floor book, just in a different format.

Yes, i was thinking that very same thing as i was looking at the learning wall posts. I think your right, both very similar things, just in a different format. I like the fact that the books can be stored forever and referred back to when needed, whereas with a wall, it eventually gets changed and all thats left is a photo or two of the wall. However, then you have the problem of where to store these massive books and display them, so if you just had a photo album or file on a computer with photos of previous walls it would be more beneficial, Whatever works best for you, your children and parents i guess!!

Nikki x

One of the advantages of the floor book is it is there in the classroom when you are discussing the learning with the children and they can add to it themselves and watch you add their quotes to it. It's physically there on the floor and thus easier for all the children to see when sitting in a circle/group, rather than having to look at what might be a distant or difficult to see wall. Of course I haven't tried them myself yet, but this is what I see as an advantage and one of the reasons why I am going to introduce them rather than having a learning wall for my topic. I'll still have one for literacy and numeracy as that's school policy (I'm in year one).

One of the advantages of the floor book is it is there in the classroom when you are discussing the learning with the children and they can add to it themselves and watch you add their quotes to it. It's physically there on the floor and thus easier for all the children to see when sitting in a circle/group, rather than having to look at what might be a distant or difficult to see wall. Of course I haven't tried them myself yet, but this is what I see as an advantage and one of the reasons why I am going to introduce them rather than having a learning wall for my topic. I'll still have one for literacy and numeracy as that's school policy (I'm in year one).

Bloomin school policy...wouldn't all our jobs be easier without all this nonsense!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)