Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Advice Needed!

Just wondering if anyone can help - I am Foundation Coordinator in a unit of Nursery and Reception children and have new members of staff recently started and are due to start in September. My real issue isnt really the new members of staff but more the fact that some of the existing members are not exactly the ideal 'role models' for newcomers if you catch my drift. I wanted to come up with some sort of guidance about how to act, i.e no personal calls in class, no making resources/laminating when children around and so on, INTERACT more with the children - but without sounding like im on some sort of powertrip!!

I was thinking of maybe doing a professional code of conduct (whatever that is) and kind of stating the basics such as safeguarding procedures, health and safety, appropriate clothing etc.

What do people think??

Thanks in advance

Guest jenpercy
Just wondering if anyone can help - I am Foundation Coordinator in a unit of Nursery and Reception children and have new members of staff recently started and are due to start in September. My real issue isnt really the new members of staff but more the fact that some of the existing members are not exactly the ideal 'role models' for newcomers if you catch my drift. I wanted to come up with some sort of guidance about how to act, i.e no personal calls in class, no making resources/laminating when children around and so on, INTERACT more with the children - but without sounding like im on some sort of powertrip!!

I was thinking of maybe doing a professional code of conduct (whatever that is) and kind of stating the basics such as safeguarding procedures, health and safety, appropriate clothing etc.

What do people think??

Thanks in advance

We certainly have the phone calls thing in our staff handbook, and it may come across better to new members of staff like that, however, it sounds as though you need to wake up the ideas of the older members of staff. I have resorted to saying "because I am your boss and I say so" as more subtle methods don't seem to have any effect.

for example, I don't think vegetable printing with 2 bits of wizened carrot, 2 bits of parsnip, 2 half onions, and a halved apple are a suitably stimulating experience.

staff member argue, argue, argue and there wre 3 pieces of parsnip.

Well i am your boss and I say so

If you manage it within the first couple of days I'd suggest getting the staff together to write the code of conduct as a group. That way you avoid the power trip and everyone reflects on how their practice appears to others.

I think you need to do it early on so that the new staff are still unaware of the bad examples set by the existing ones if possible.

Hi is there a induction process for all new staff ?

Have you staff that can model good practice to buddy new staff ?.

As the supervisor of our setting i normally work out with my deputy a roles and responsibilities for all staff, and a covering letter welcoming everyone back to a new term and the things to be mindful of, this normally does the trick and gets us off to a good start. I have to say i know i am very lucky to have a great team of fourteen of us to work with in the beginning so any little issues that may arise are dealt with swiftly and individually, invest time in your staff, value them and listen has always been my best policy.

Good luck :o

Hi Coco, I would see what you have available to all new staff in your school eg a staff handbook, and some of the things you mention should be covered by that eg mobile phones and working WITH the children. Also you should have an induction process and someone who manages that..in my old school it was always the deputy who line managed the support staff and the Head for teaching staff. If you have line management responsibility too for the new staff, then you will need to give some time over to induction..clarity can often be given if there are job descriptions and contracts.

If this doesn't work, or is not how your school works, at some point I imagine you might have staff or team meetings, in which you can raise things of a 'housekeeping' nature.

On the issue of practice eg the interactions, this could come by means of training, professional development and so on, both for your existing and your new staff. Do you have PDRs or performance managements.. they could easily become targets for the staff involved..or it could become something that you want your whole team (even the whole school) to improve via your SDP.

I personally would not go down the path of a code of conduct for only FS staff, it would need to be united across the school and so a chat with the Head or your line manager may be prudent.

Good luck with it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)