Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phew - Near Miss !

Hiya all, just thought Id let you know the latest little tale..... decided to add overnight care to my registration; thought that they might not need to come out.... they did and only called me the previous evening. So if you can imagine me after teatime begging hubby to mind my lo while I madly resurrected my sons room back to life , declutterd the landing and spare room ( fire exit) mount everest style pile of ironing, plus board, plus spare chair etc and hoover at the same time. Filled up my garage with even more charity bags and thought I was done. Then i remembered the evacuation plan which needed doing....

Well she came at alotted time 11.00am just before preschool run ( she was late) and then said that she would have given me a full inspection as I hadnt had one since new guidelines have come in ( mine is due next March - which I told her and said - of coures have a look at my files, policies etc) she didnt do an full inspection but said it was only because I was soo busy !!! and Added "oh you should do better this time...!!!" Im convinced this woman is out to get me !! Her previous visit she graded me as inadequate but " with potential" when I omitted to tell them about my newborn ( he is now 2yrs) They still havent updated my records becasue she referred to it and said laughing oh Ill do that now !!!!

Then she went on about Risk assessments -daily ones where you identify all hazards eg doors ( what shall we take them off completely now then ?), stairgates etc as they are "hot on that at the moment".So the tick list of areas isnt good enough now and you have identify them. Aslo complaint policy with accompanying example proforma with all six areas on to cross reference ( what on earth is that about !!!). My "development worker" should have a copy for me apparantly and when I get it I will share it with you girls. I duly emailed Early years and have the said DW hot footing it to me next week, oh the powers of the word "Ofsted" !!! :o

The only advantage to the visit was I now have a Lovely clean clutter free second floor - not a word was said about my proposed upstairs rooms - and that she agreed to amend my variations now rather than have to change my registration again in a month or so when my son starts school ( I thought Oh she does have some commonsense then !!) Other than that a very close shave and I cant wait to see her again next March ( not) Be warned !!!

Then she went on about Risk assessments -daily ones where you identify all hazards eg doors ( what shall we take them off completely now then ?), stairgates etc as they are "hot on that at the moment".So the tick list of areas isnt good enough now and you have identify them. Aslo complaint policy with accompanying example proforma with all six areas on to cross reference ( what on earth is that about !!!). My "development worker"

Maybe it is the heat but I don't understand why tick lists is not good enough? If the tick list clearly identifies all areas of potential hazard and these are properly checked daily why is that insufficient. If you have no tick list and wander round checking and find no hazards where do you record that?

We have an extensive tick list which is only ticked if all is well, if one of the areas checked results in a problem it is noted on the tick list and comments for rectifying noted eg last week the flooring inside the main entrance had started to come 'unstuck' so as an immediate remedy it was taped with that black/yellow hazard tape and notes made about getting a 'man who can' in to repair it.

Oh maybe i have misunderstood (nothing new there!!!) and 'areas' need to be more detailed/specific??

I use a basic daily tick list and have a more detailed risk assesment for all areas Which Mrs O was very happy with when I had my inspection in Feb. I know childminders who don't even use a daily written check list and they did well in their inspection. Once again it comes down to who you have on the day!!

Maybe it is the heat but I don't understand why tick lists is not good enough? If the tick list clearly identifies all areas of potential hazard and these are properly checked daily why is that insufficient. If you have no tick list and wander round checking and find no hazards where do you record that?

We have an extensive tick list which is only ticked if all is well, if one of the areas checked results in a problem it is noted on the tick list and comments for rectifying noted eg last week the flooring inside the main entrance had started to come 'unstuck' so as an immediate remedy it was taped with that black/yellow hazard tape and notes made about getting a 'man who can' in to repair it.

Oh maybe i have misunderstood (nothing new there!!!) and 'areas' need to be more detailed/specific??

OK, don't take my word for it, never been one for following all the rules, but I think risk assessments should not only check that certain things are right, but that other things which might cause a hazard are identified and a plan of action put into place. I think they want to see that you do check things on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, but that you have identified that,for instance, one of the chairs is a bit wobbly, and that you plan to replace it within a certain time frame. They also might want to see evidence that other identified problems have been remedied in the past.

Nice to have a cleaned up space isn't it. Get rid of that clutter and then come and get rid of mine will ya?!

Could it mean she's like to see the 'reasons' behind the checklist?

Therefore you would have a full RA sheet for say example- about the garden. ~ his lists the possible hazards and what you do mimise the risks etc.

Then this would then become statement on your 'checklist'

This would mean you have a folder full of actuall risk assements, which you have used to form your 'daily ticklist'

xxxx

Could it mean she's like to see the 'reasons' behind the checklist?

Therefore you would have a full RA sheet for say example- about the garden. ~ his lists the possible hazards and what you do mimise the risks etc.

Then this would then become statement on your 'checklist'

This would mean you have a folder full of actuall risk assements, which you have used to form your 'daily ticklist'

xxxx

Thats a nice idea but I showed her the more detailed ones - I will check it with the DW when she comes but actually think that is unfortunate that I got the same woman three times now - maybe( Nona) my powers of positive thinking might need to be aired before March 2011- or maybe just a bit of 'voodoo '!!!! :oxD !

thanks for your comments by the way !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)