Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health And Safety Again!

Hi all, just want to ask if anyone else has been told by their school they can do no more cooking with the children until we have all had food handling training?

We are in a pre-school (village hall, sessional group) and were advised by our local environmental health representative that all staff handling food must have a level 2 food hygiene certificate as we were classed as a 'food business'. However, after speaking with our early years advisor, she advised that it would be good practise for staff handling food on a regular basis to obtain this certificate but was not an EYFS requirement. We do only prepare fruit, veg etc supplied by parents but children do take part in regular cooking activities.

dottyp

We are pre-school and the only food handling we do is the usual snack stuff and a little cooking with the children.

I thought going on a food handling course was a little OTT, however, I found it quite a fascinating day to be honest and I am glad I went - mind you, not so sure I want to eat out ever again!!! and certainly not from a buffet.

We're a pre-school, fruit for snacks, and basic kiddie cooking etc.

EH visited a couple of weeks ago. She said she would like to see at least one member of staff to have food hygiene (basic) and she sent us a DVD which she asked that all staff must watch. Very basic, how to wash hands, store food etc -about 10mins.

She was more insistant that we have at least ' health and safety certificate level 3' qualified staff member - she wanted either myself or deputy to do it ASAP.............. in fact it was 'an action' on our report.

She pointed out that in our LA - Essex- this was soon going to become a requirement for all settings!!

ok - what is a health and safety level 3 course? all my staff have level1 food hygiene as they are food handlers ( snacks/cookery /serving etc.) i have a level 2 (used to be intermediate)only because i've worked in kitchens - my husband has an advanced because he runs restaurants/events - unless you are in charge of making the childrens meals i would doubt there is any need for anything other than a level 1

ok - what is a health and safety level 3 course? all my staff have level1 food hygiene as they are food handlers ( snacks/cookery /serving etc.) i have a level 2 (used to be intermediate)only because i've worked in kitchens - my husband has an advanced because he runs restaurants/events - unless you are in charge of making the childrens meals i would doubt there is any need for anything other than a level 1

Yes dealing with the food side of things she was more than happy with one staff with basic food hygiene + all staff watching the short very very basic DVD..........it might be from something called 'safer food- better business'. Your hubby might know it -it's for proper food bussiness's!!!!

The health and safety was for more general things in the setting. the aim is to have a much greater awareness safety within the workplace.

I'm in Essex and we had an awful child death in the county a year or so ago - whilst the child was playing in an outdoor playhouse.

The health and safety course is a level 3 'award' rather than a level three qualification, and is three full days with an exam (muliple choice!) at end, however to do it you have to have the level 2 first- which was one full day with exam..........one of our staff have this already.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)