Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Action?

What is the definition of this?

I thought it was if you were having to do something different for a child in order for them to access and manage in your normal provision be it behaviourally, physically or whatever.

So, if I have a mum who wants me to provide a sticker chart for her boy, soft toys for him to squeeze at carpet time and the opportunity to run around on the big field everyday rather than play in our garden is he on EYA?.

Mum wants me to do these things but things i am am mad to even suggest that her child might need an IEP.

Am I mad, dear reader?

You're right about the definition of early years action. EYA plus is when you call on other professionals too. Those things need recording on an IEP in my opinion unless you let everyone do them so he would be be EYA. Am I right in reading into this that mum doesn't want to go to EYA?

Are these requirements endorsed by you?

Where have these ideas come from?

Early Years Action IS stuff you do over and above what you do for the others......

I think he does need an IEP if you are doing these things to manage behaviours , and possibly you need to think about help from outside agency if these things are totally necessary.........

What is the difference to running about on the field rather than in your garden?

I think that if these things are Mums requests with no back up from elsewhere you have a right to not go along with them just for the sake of it.

Being on the field does this impact on staffing?

Very interesting at this time of the morning!!!!!!!!

Holly 35 is right EYA is when a child has other practioners, agencies involved with his care and education, neither an IEP or any other interventions are allowed without the parents permission. Without any other information it is difficult to give you any more advice, if in doubt contact your area Senco for guidance.

sorry bridger but that's not quite correct you are describing early years action plus - thats when you have others involved. early years action is when you have a need that requires extra time/change in teaching just a differentiation to access curriculum. I would also say that we often gather information before we meet parents ( so that we know what we are talking about ) and so information may well be written down before a parents sees it. Edlee - do you think this child needs these differentiations?

When considering whether to do an IEP you need to look at what these actions are meant to achieve. An IEP has a target and the strategies should be designed to help the child meet the target.

So is this a strategy to help the child settle into your setting? In this case the IEP needs to say how you will monitor his settling.

Is is to help behaviour? You would definitely need an IEP for this because if these strategies don't work you may need to move to EYA+.

Is this just to help mum feel secure that her child is happy and well cared for in your setting? In this case an IEP isn't really called for because there is no target to achieve for the child. This is a target for mum.

I hope that helps.

Edlee

What you don't say is what the child's behaviour is really like. Mum seems to have an awful lot of ideas about what she wants but what does the child need. Why does he need to run around the field. Why does she think he needs a soft toy to cuddle, do you think he needs a sticker chart and for what reason? Is his behaviour that bad?

Mum has alot of opinions, but do you think they are needed or are these things so that you are not having to go to mum and say his behaviour needs monitoring. Look at what the child needs in your setting for him to have a good time and learn. which is the objective the child or mum?

When you have that sorted then look at if you need to put him on Early action or action plus.

Good luck I'm all for working with parents but not parents dictating what they think you should be doing in your setting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)