Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wheat Allergy

Hi All

First of all does anyone have a child with a severe wheat allergy at their setting? If so what procedures are in place regarding playdough??

Thank you

You will need to make playdough with rice flour which is not quite the same but better than no playdough.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup rice flour

1/2 cup cornflour

1/2 cup salt

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 cup water

1 teaspoon cooking oil

Food coloring, if desired

Directions:

Mix ingredients. Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until it forms a ball. Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic bag.

Thank you so much JacquieL . I had just sourced a recipe using rice flour, but the next problem I have is where can I buy it cheaply?

Thanks for your quick reply

Debbie

You will need to make playdough with rice flour which is not quite the same but better than no playdough.

Snap...Our wheat allergy child is in F2 but we also have rice flour playdough in F1 classroom and outdoor. When he moves to Year 1 it will be the same there, rice flour playdough for both Year 1 classrooms as from September my Year 1 children will float also. YIPEE!!!

I don't know if you live near an asian community, but in Birmingham you can buy it quite easily from the local shops...in a big bag too. Sainsbury has small bags.

Edited by sienna

Thank you so much JacquieL . I had just sourced a recipe using rice flour, but the next problem I have is where can I buy it cheaply?

Thanks for your quick reply

Debbie

Hi Debbie

We have a wheat allergy child and make playdough with rice flour too. I bought our flour in either Tesco Kingston or Asda - I can't remember which, sorry! I will look next time I'm in but your child's Mum might be able to point you in the right direction. There is the Asian/Oriental supermarket in Bradwell Abbey too.

A good website for allergies is www.kidswithfoodallergies.org

She

Hi,

I have a wheat allergy. I buy Dove Farm gluten free plain flour from Sainsbury's which is a mixture of rice and potato flour but it isn't cheap. If you are cooking the dough try adding xanthum gum ( also in the freak isle at sainsbury's) This does the binding job that gluten usually does.

My daughter has a wheat allergy and when she was at playschool i gave them flour from her doctors it is free, and you can order quite a bit at a time.

Children with dermatitis herpetiformis aspect of coeliac disease need to have dough made from non-wheat ingredients though Sue. You were fortunate that you had no problems, and presumably you checked with the child's parent/carer that it wouldn't be a problem.

I'm 'fortunate' that I'm gastrointestinal coeliac as the dermatitis aspect is particularly nasty

• 1 month later...

Oh dear, I'm a coeliac with dermatitis herpetiformis; it's just as difficult for me in the classroom as it would be for a child. It makes for interesting and informative discussions with the children (and parents) though when I turn down all offers of cakes, biscuits etc!

Hi

I have no experience of a wheat allergy at school, but in the last week my son has been on a wheat exclusion diet, and i posted my own thread and everyone has been great. so you are in the right place for help

Phil

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)