Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Topic Is Transport

Hello out there

Our new topic (after the fabulous hols coming up!!!) is transport - was wondering if anyone had any activities for reception chdn. Have had role play area as a travel agents already and have thought about a pirate ship but my kids tend to try to kill each other anyway without being given a cutlass to do it!!!! Please help need inspiration :o

Jacqui

Hi

I am also covering transport next half term.

Some ideas we have discussed in our FS unit are looking at ways of travelling to destinations. We will begin with our feet, onto bikes, cars/ buses, boats (next to a canal), trains, aeroplanes.

Role play will include travel agents (inside)- creating booking tickets, travel guides, travel brochures, posters (from our observations of children collecting together children to got to Disney World- ongoing theme with two children and they ionvolve lots of children), car wash, trains/planes/ boats outside. Home to travel from or a travel destination.

Using wheels- why are they the best for transport (invetigate different shapes), water play creating systems with guttering and an interconnecting set we have for boats. Extending understanding of floating/ sinking (Who Sank the Boat- Pamela Allen) how many little people will sink the boat, what makes a good boat- testing materials. Creative- different sized wheels in paint (on another discussion). Packing for a journey- what do we need for different locations. Patch our teddy goes home with children each week so will extend this with a little travel case.

Using parachutes to make objects travel/ move- link to air travel (planes, making hot air ballons, kites , paper planes, other things that wiil fly)

More ideas needed!

Lisa

We did this a few years ago and had a stretch limo (into which fitted 8 children and one adult), a van, a motorbike and a reliant robin visit the playgroup. We wanted to take the children on a bus but had total lack of support from parents so we couldnt do it, but it was amazing how many chilren had never been on one. We also lifted the bonnet on my car and let them take a look and then draw the different bits. After that they were given loads of materials to enable them to make a model of an engine using photos we'd taken of it. :D

Rea,

Qu: How many reliant robins can you fit into a stretch limo? :D

Don't know but on my father-in-laws reliant robin a sticker on the back window says, Don't laugh your daughters inside. :o

Peggy

We had a bus station - 6 chairs, a plastic hoop for a wheel, someone at the front to be the driver. We let the children play for a while, then we played a game where I stuck numbers on each of the seats, got one of those big plastic dice out, and the children had to take turns to throw it. When the dice landed they had to count how many dots there were, then find the corresponding number on the bus seat. If someone was already sitting on it they had to get off, then it was their turn - and so it went on, and on, and on....... :D

We also gave the children different sorts of wheels to dip into paint, i.e. duplo car, toy motorbike wheels, helicopter landing bits (not sure what the correct name is) to make different tracks.

Loved the idea of bringing a stetch Limo etc. in!!

G.

Jacqui, I think a pirate ship is a great idea - lovely link to sand and water play and loads of creative stuff - map making, flag designing, message in a bottle etc etc. Could do a treasure hunt and introduce magnets/ metal detector etc

Maybe you could do a space rocket and a submarine too?

Have fun! :o

I think I got this here in the forum. Hope you can use it. I took some ideas from it. Nursery Education had an issue about the topic (July 2001).

Yesterday we went to the train station. We took pictures of different means of transportation that we would find on our journey. They loved to get on the bus and the tram as well. I was amazed on how well they behaved. We had talked so much about safety that they really got the message. I was really proud of them!

I will see if I can attach other things.

Best wishes!

Dear Goldilocks

loved the idea about putting numbers on the chairs of the bus and using a dice - I will definitely try that one.

I find Rockets always have the boys running to the craft table.

Nikki

Hi I also got the children to make their own boat using plasticine and then put them in the water tray to see which ones floated- this is a fantastic KUW activity

When we did transport we spent a long time on "space transport". Our role play was a space rocket. We covered lots of items in silver foil. We had an old computer keyboard and playstation joystick as the 'control centre'. I used 4 large washing powder boxes, covered in foil, with two straps of wide elastic for arm holes. The children wore these as back packs which contained their oxygen (2 large empty fizzy bottles). Within their rocket were "space meals" (made by the children in small plastic boxes with lids, number cards 0-10 for the children to put into order for the countdown, moon boots (old wellies sprayed silver which made you "float" on the moon), as well as paper and envelopes to write letters home about what it was like on the moon.

Some children wanted to be aliens, and so they made alien head-dresses and spoke in funny voices. We talked about, made and decorated imaginary planets of various sizes, which hung on mobiles from the ceiling.

It was definitely one of our most popular role play themes.

The book which was our inspiration for the topic was "Whatever Next" by Jill Murphy, about Baby Bear visiting the moon in a cardboard box rocket.

• 5 months later...
Jacqui, I think a pirate ship is a great idea - lovely link to sand and water play and loads of creative stuff - map making, flag designing, message in a bottle etc etc. Could do a treasure hunt and introduce magnets/ metal detector etc

Maybe you could do a space rocket and a submarine too?

Have fun!  :o

27427[/snapback]

hi, having a bit of trouble downloading this file, it keeps saying problem with file.

Thanks

bb

Hi BB -

If you mean the .mov attachments from Smiley, you need some software called Quicktime to run them. This is a free download which you can get from this site (ignore the paid version download). Be a bit careful how you set your preferences or it will set your system to play all audio and video from the quicktime player!

Smiley, I'm a bit worried that those quicktime movies are copyright to someone - can you check where you got them from? If there's any doubt it would be much better for you to link to the original site rather than post the files themselves! :o

• 5 months later...

Is this better http://www.oli.org/education_resources/videos.htm#classroom ?

Sly Fox and Birdie

Copyright © 2001-2007 Operation Lifesaver, Inc. All rights reserved. Educational use only permitted.

No part of these materials may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means

for any commercial purpose without permission in writing from Operation Lifesaver, Inc.

Hi

Thanks to everyone for their ideas on transport.

We are doing transport at the moment and have had a really successful trip out on a double decker bus all around town. We live in a port town with docks and there is an airport on the outskirts.

The bus tour lasted a little under an hour and the children had a clipboard and pencil each with a sheet with loads of different types of transport that they could tick off as they saw them on the trip.

We had about 10 parent helpers as they all wanted to see the sights and it really was a great experience for us all. Did loads of follow up work and it linked all the different types of transport together.

Also next week we are going to convert the classroom into an airport for the day on Friday, different parts of the room are going to be different areas in the airport. We are going to have a cafe and make sandwiches and drinks, a check in area with ticket making and weighing going on, outside we are planning to have a runway and airoplane set up with emergency services available, fuel loading stations, luggage sorting and transport. We are going to have a departure lounge with magazines, books, puzzles, word searches, colourings, postcards available. We are also asking the children to come dressed up in clothing suitable for the different jobs in the airport.

We are all quite excited about it and it will be fun going off timetable for the day(not sure what I'm going to dress up though!!!)

Trudiex

Thanks for doing that Smiley. Can you tell me what you did (or did you just re-upload the file?).

I wasn't ignoring you Lorna, I was just trying to figure out what was going on. We've had a couple of those malfunctioning uploads in the last few months and I havn't been able to resolve them...

Aw shucks, Lorna! xD

You might not say that if you could see the current state of the next upgrade of the forum software...

It's on a test site, close to here, and there are some very strange things happening at the moment. :o

(Just in case anybody wonders what I do when I don't answer questions fast enough!)

Hi Rachel -

Thanks for this. Could you check the source of the planning document you've attached to see if it's copyrighted please? We do need to make sure we're not posting things that are copyrighted.

If it is perhaps you could post a link to it instead?

Many thanks,

Steve. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)