Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Question For Childminders

I am considering eth possibility of going into childminding but I am worried that my house might I won't be able to do it.

I live in a 3 storey town house, so we have a kitchen diner and a cloakroom on the groundfloor, on the second floor we have a 2 bedrooms (one being my little ones) living room and bathroom, and on the third floor another bedroom and bathroom.

Do you think that the design of our house would be frowned upon and that it would mean that I would be an unsuitable candidate?

hello Jester,

I can see no reason why not!!

As long you can show that the rooms your minded children will have access to are safe and you have safety gates to all your stairs.When you look at design of your house you possibly would not use the top floor for your minded children anyway (because you have a bathroom on second floor)so its just the same as most peoples houses.

You might need to think about how you would plan your normal day ie would you and the children spend most of time on second floor and just go to ground floor for meals and outside area?

I think you should be fine though! Good luck.Unsworth

I can't see a problem with that at all.

You would need to show how you are keeping all the children safe when, for example you are all downstairs and one child needs the toilet. This is something any childminder without a downstairs loo has to do.

If you have room downstairs I'd consider using that as your main childminding area perhaps with some beanbags to make a comfy seating area. Obviously it depends on the size of your rooms but if you can have toys accessible in there too that should save lots of traipsing up and down stairs.

Ditto that! Go for it if it suits your lifestyle. If you're on this forum you must already be in teaching or something similar so you should make sure it's the lifestyle you want. Although the money is better than most people think, it's not as good as teaching after a few years.

Good Luck

Fe

hello Jester,

I can see no reason why not!!

As long you can show that the rooms your minded children will have access to are safe and you have safety gates to all your stairs.When you look at design of your house you possibly would not use the top floor for your minded children anyway (because you have a bathroom on second floor)so its just the same as most peoples houses.

You might need to think about how you would plan your normal day ie would you and the children spend most of time on second floor and just go to ground floor for meals and outside area?

I think you should be fine though! Good luck.Unsworth

Hi, I have safety gates all on stair cases cos of my little one anyway and I would probably spend most of my day on the second floor as the bathroom is right next to the living room, We only go in the kitchen for meals.

Thank you for your reply

I can't see a problem with that at all.

You would need to show how you are keeping all the children safe when, for example you are all downstairs and one child needs the toilet. This is something any childminder without a downstairs loo has to do.

If you have room downstairs I'd consider using that as your main childminding area perhaps with some beanbags to make a comfy seating area. Obviously it depends on the size of your rooms but if you can have toys accessible in there too that should save lots of traipsing up and down stairs.

I had thought of this, I would have to shut the kitchen while the child used the toilet and I would be able to see other children from there anyway.

Unfortunatley we don't have an extra room downstairs but we have been considering a conservetory but his would be a bit hot in the summer I guess? but yes having toys downstairs would help, atm my child has a few bits to play with in the hallway.

Ditto that! Go for it if it suits your lifestyle. If you're on this forum you must already be in teaching or something similar so you should make sure it's the lifestyle you want. Although the money is better than most people think, it's not as good as teaching after a few years.

Good Luck

Fe

Thanks, I am teaching atm but I am looking at other options as I have a child already. I have been a nanny in the past so think that experience will help, also I use a childminder at the mo so have a bit of an insight.

I am still in the "thinking about it" process atm!

Thank you all for such positive and supportive answers :o

Guest jane707

The best thing you can do is to ask for a visit from your local childminding coordinator.

You should be able to contact him/her via your children's centre.

They know the law regarding size of floor space per child and will be able to give you lots of support.

:o

I was going to suggest speaking to your local co-ordinator as well. I used to teach before I became a childminder too. I have seen lots of different home set-ups for childminders and the co-ordinator should be able to come along and advise you how to make yours work best.

The best thing you can do is to ask for a visit from your local childminding coordinator.

You should be able to contact him/her via your children's centre.

They know the law regarding size of floor space per child and will be able to give you lots of support.

:o

Thank you, I will ask when I am next at sure start (we have part time CC here)

I was going to suggest speaking to your local co-ordinator as well. I used to teach before I became a childminder too. I have seen lots of different home set-ups for childminders and the co-ordinator should be able to come along and advise you how to make yours work best.

Thats great, a really positive answer, thanks xD

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)