Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anyone For Tennis?

Beau

Thanks to everyone for their answers and sorry about the confusion over q13 - there is always at least one I get slightly wrong! I shall be checking the entries sent to me and will post the answers later. :o

Here are the answers. I need to pull the winners name out of a hat since so many people got the right answers so will do that once my able assistants are home from school! xD

1. What is the surname of the Swiss player who has won a record breaking 16 Grand Slam mens singles titles?

Federer

2. Tennis withdrew in 1924 and returned fully in 1988 to what?

Olympics

3. What is the head ‘judge’ over a tennis match called?

Umpire

4. Stretching across the full width of the court, dividing it in half, is a what?

Net

5. What is it called when two pairs of people play a game of tennis?

Doubles

6. The four main grand slam games are played in the UK, US, France and where else?

Australia

7. Henman mania spread across the country in the late 90’s for our British hopeful. What was the nickname he received from the press?

Tiger Tim

8. What is the governing body for world tennis called?

International Tennis Federation

9. A smash is also sometimes known as what?

Overhead

10. What is the surname of the Czech America woman who is said to be the greatest tennis player of all time?

Navrátilová

11. No trip to Wimbledon would be complete without having some of these with cream.

Strawberries

12. What is the name of the special game, at the score 6–6 in a set, to decide the winner of the set?

Tie-break

13. Now retired, who is the only male player in history to achieve a Career Grand Slam? (Sorry, meant to be Golden but I think you all picked up on the right answer anyway!)

Andre Agassi

14. What is the type of surface used at Wimbledon?

Grass

15. What is the surname of the former ladies No.1 who had a romance with Jimmy Connors and later married John Lloyd?

Evert

16. What is it called when a player, during the serve, steps on or over the baseline into the court before striking the ball?

Foot fault or fault

17. What the line umpire will call if the ball is not within the play area.

Out

18. This often stops play at Wimbledon.

Rain

19. The national governing body for the sport of tennis in America is called what?

United States Tennis Association (USTA)

20. Game, set and what?

Match

The missing link was from the initial letter from each of the answers which spelt out FOUNDATION STAGE FORUM. Its easy when you know what it is! :o

Sorry for keeping you all in suspense! I was going to post and then my pickle of a puppy escaped from the garden (again!!) and I had to spend time getting her back and then trying to block off where she got out. Not exactly what I had planned to do. :(

Anyway, the votes have been verified and the names picked at random. :o

Our winner this month is the ever lucky Geraldine! The runner up is aliamch and the winner of our bonus prize was HoneyPancakes. xD Congratulations everyone, I'll be in touch about prizes. :(

Geraldine has very kindly asked that we donate her winnings to a children's charity so I have this morning donated £20 to the NSPCC. Many thanks Geraldine, and congratulations :o