Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Driving Children To Trips

Staff driving a child and their parent, will business insurance be needed?

Definitely if it was just a child but I'm not sure whether having the parent in the car too puts a different complexion on it. Best check with your insurance company, I think!

Maz

It's not very expensive though. About £20ish for a year - I needed it for just 1 mile a week but it's still cheaper than a taxi for each trip. Just a bit of hastle.

And some insurance companies will add it completely free!

Maz

I forgot to say that we also get parents to sign a form giving permission for their child to be transported in a staff member's car, and we sign to say we have seen the driver's licence, MOT and insurance certificates. Not sure whether you need to get the parent to sign if they are being driven too, though.

Maz

Hi don't want to be a party pooper - but we were told from recent training courses - it is a huge safety aspect (First Aid course) and safeguarding aspect (from Safeguarding course) that under no circumstances should staff be transporting children in vehicles. You may be putting the child at greater risk. We have never done this so it hasn't been an issue at our setting, but I am aware that some settings do use staff vehicles and this would be a problem. You will need to advise your insurance company, and carry out risk assessment too, plus action plan for the event of accident etc.

Edited by Guest

In our Outings policy we had this paragraph.

Where private vehicles are being used the playgroup will ensure that

• The vehicle has an up to date MOT certificate and current tax disc

• The vehicle is fully insured and the insurance company notified prior to the outing so that appropriate cover can be sought

• Appropriate child restraints are fitted securely and used at all times

Guest jenpercy

i have actually had OFSTED watch me get out of vehicle, when visiting. She had been asked by ANONYMOUS to check that I had child seats. I assured her that I had child seats, a copy of my insurance & MOT on file, and that we had included staff transporting children in our risk assessments. Everything was fine