Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching Nursery

hi I'm starting a new job in a nursery in September. Do the children start at the profile points in the EYFS profile and when assessing them do you put wow work into a scrap book? I am leaving my current job due to being bullied by my jobsharer who happens to be the Deputy head too. She has ignored me since Christmas and I've had enough. I have had to submit for every profile point a picture of each child and add a comment and date for when they completed that point. (a nightmare). Would be happy for a few ideas Many thnks Sacha jade.

Welcome to the Forum sachajade and congratulations on making your first post.

Your story sounds very familiar to me - I hope you enjoy your new job and that it will be much less stressful for you thatn life is at present.

I have no expertise to share but I know that lots of our lovely teachers will be along soon with words of wisdom. Unless of course they're all watching the football!

Maz

Welcome!

I hope you'll be much happier in your new job.

Sorry, I can't help either but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.

Football? football - is there something going on then :o

Nona (so NOT a football fan!!)

Lots of people here probably do things way better than me (have only done Nursery since Jan) and the suggestions here are something I'm always looking at and improving what I do! But here's what we do!

We don't use the EYFS profile in our Nursery, we leave that to Reception xD What we do do is use the development matters statements, and in each child's folder is a copy that can be highlighted when children achieve that statement. It allows some of my Nursery children to demonstrate they are achieving - even if for some areas they are working at the 16-26 months level and chronologically they are 36+ months. My evidence for their achievements range from post-it note observations, photographs. very limited number of samples of work and (...wait for it...) my own professional judgement! ( :o shock, horror - I know so many senior people insist we prove everything! I insist I know my children well! :( )

We assess and plan with Development Matters using the 'look, listen and note' points alongside. We assess the children, work out where we think they are developmently and go from there towards the ELG/profile points. This year I have to input the children Profile data for the FIRST time in 6 years - but it will be so that it is up and running for the reception teachers to carry on next year. We have an observation/asessment folder, photo albums and every child has a learning journey booklet which will be going over to rec with them. Wow work is kept/ or copied and will either go in their Learning journey, their ass folder or their 'writing dev' folder Other nurseries may do it a different way. Our Rec teacher is planning that all this info will be kept in one file for each child next year along with any work or assessments that she does with them so that each child will have all their info in one place.

Just to add and affirm that the statutory EYFSP is an end of EYFS assessment and not suitable for continuous assessment in nursery. As described the Dev matters/ages/stages are far more suitable. try looking at the "Progress Matters" stuff or the assessment tools on here

EYFSP could be used for transition into F2 but with caution and with the same expectations for quality assurance that would be applied when making the final summative judgements in the third Reception term.

Cx

Just to add and affirm that the statutory EYFSP is an end of EYFS assessment and not suitable for continuous assessment in nursery.

Just to say catma - although i realise where you are coming from i have had 6 profile children at pre-school this year and all have been assessed through our normal process. I will not assess them on profile until they are in their profile year however.

'This year I have to input the children Profile data for the FIRST time in 6 years - but it will be so that it is up and running for the reception teachers to carry on next year.

I am on the understanding that it is class group names, ages etc and if any of the children have achieved any of the first 3 points then that info will be put in but as I have never done it before who knows!

Yes, points 4 - 8 are linked to the ELGs and as such represent the secure attainment of the 40 - 60+ band of development, so absolutely a child just entering FS2 could be attaining this band of development but it would be a child who is operating at the same developmental expectation as a child on the cusp of year 1, with the same expected level of independence and competency, and therefore well in advance of the national expectations. To use an end of key stage assessment for children who are much younger can be fraught with misinterpretation of the developmental pitch EYFSP which is always my main concern.

Cx

Hi,

Similar to Katekit, we assess using the Development matters alongside the Look, Listen and Note which helps us to judge which age and stage the children best fit into. For county, we assess against 22-36 months and 30-50 months in October, February and June - giving a point for each aspect that we feel the child are confident in - therefore, getting a score out of 12. We only do this for PSE and CLL, but of course do our own assessment for the other areas of learning where we record the age and stage that each child is working within. We have been advised not to use the development matters statements as a ticklist as the statements are not an exhaustive list of what the children should or could achieve who are confident at each stage - therefore if you use the document as a whole you can look to see where children best fit i.e. they don't have to achieve everything it lists in the development matters to say they are confident at that age and stage. Hope that makes sense. Ofsted apparently like this assessment as it clearly shows progression over the year.

Good Luck - I love teaching Nursery and I'm sure you will too.

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)