Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ear We Go Again

beth1

This is not funny anymore.

Since January of this year, I have had ear infections upon ear infections. So much so I have had to take time off work since its made me too ill to work.

About 8 weeks ago I got the all clear and we though it won't come back. Well on Monday/Tuesday of this week I have felt ill. No idea why I was feeling run down, I assumed it was because I sat 4 exam papers the week before. Then to top it off on Wednesday I became really ill, raced off to the doctors, rang in sick again. Been to the hosptial today and guess whats back yes this ear infection that just won't go away! :(

Well I am behond caring now, but at least even without the right hearing aid in I shall be going into work. Even if it means I end up collasping from extreme exashtion with the amount of concentration with lack of hearing. And theres only 4 more weeks before the summer holidays.

So got some cream in my right ear, can't wear hearing aid in that ear for at least a week. And I am not due back for 3 weeks. I am starting to think I should just be signed off ill until they (the hosptial) fix it. But then it could be another year at least before they fix it. grrr Oh and to top things off I am off to top up my Foundation Degree.

This I feel is my only good news of the day. I couldn't make it to the induction day (maths exam paper 2), so the paperwork got sent out. Today I got the paperwork. :( From 10th September 10 until mid November 11, I will be doing the BEd stage 3 top up (hons) without QTS course. I didn't expect that I would be expected to write a story (1000 words) nor plan, deliver and evaluate a numeracy lesson and 2 consective science lessons, plus a scheme of work, a PDP file and an idependant study (disseration). Eeek that will be fun! :o

So you know what instead of 'mulling' over my poorly ear, I am going to start planning my degree studies. Hows that for postive thinking. Since you all keep telling me I seem to bounce back from every obstical in my way!!! xD:(

Maybe I need a new statement in my signature!

Beth

Chin up Beth. Very few people overcome as many hurdles as you do and still manage a pun like "Ear we go again!"

You're a legend. xD

Maz

Awww thanks.

My life is one long hurdle. Who would think of someone who is partically deaf, yet carries on with life as normal has she can! :o

Beth

Beth,

I am so sorry to read your post but you sound more upbeat this time. If it gets worse can you ask your GP to refer you for a second opinion and push for this to be sorted out once and for all?

Hope work goes ok next week and I will be thinking of you.

Love and prayers

Nicky Sussex

Oh Beth, I'm sorry your suffering again but glad to hear you've decided to put your (unwanted!) time off to good use :o

Get Well Soon (after you've finished your study plan, though xD )

Nona x

Hope you get/insist on what you need!

What has been said about cochlear implants - they do make a real difference.

There is genetic 'later life deafness' in our family so I know what is coming! My 82 year old mum is now profoundly deaf even though she is as bright as a button in every other sense - its driving her to depression.

I have therefore had a range of hearing tests.

The cochlear test showed I had 100% hearing capability - the normal ear test showed I had 55% hearing capabilty! You can go private but it can be done on NHS if you push for it - I will be pushing like mad! Watch me push NHS!

Let us know how you go,

Jenni

Been told that I need an operation to close the hole in my ear drum. This sould be sooner rather than later, but it should be free of infections for 6 months. So it's still wait and see.

Went back to work today. Ummm what can I say errm only left hearing aid in and I struugled. So guess where I am going again...the doctors for another new style stick note. I am scared that if this carries on they will not be happy.

Oh also these ear infections are called chronic suppersive otitis media (sp) on other words a persistant inflamation of the middle ear aka ear infection that won't clear up.

Let's see what the next few weeks bring.

Beth

Hiya, sorry to hear about your problem. I might be able to help but the solution is gonna sound strange!

My cat had a really bad ear infection (I know, I know but hear me out!!!) that just wouldn't go away.

I'd tried eardrops from the vet and a couple of different human ones and after putting them in as directed for weeks at a time the infection would seem to clear up but then kept coming back.

I started to get desperate so googled 'home remedies for cat ear infections' and found loads and loads of recommendations for cider vinegar not just for animals but humans too. I didn't really believe it'd work but was willing to try anything.

I bought a bottle from asda for 70p and followed the instructions from the web (dilute half and half with warm water, use it to clean ears and use a syringe to squeeze a little bit into ears like ear drops) the nasty smell was gone instantly.

I repeated the treatment a few hours later although his ears were still clean and smelled fine. And that's it! The infection has never come back, I've never repeated the treatment again and that's about 4 months ago. I don't know how or why it works and I know it sounds odd but it defo worked for my Jakey so it might be worth a try for you too!!

I hope you're not offended that I'm comparing you with my cat!!! but I was so impressed with the resut that I felt like I had to share!! Hope it helps :o xx

Aah bless :o Try to look on it as preparation time for your studies, Beth...

Nona

Aye, just hope to be back in a week on Monday. Really don't want to take the full 2 weeks off work.

Might have slightly scared myself with my ear infection. Sounds like a persistant ear infection that just wont go away.

Aye studies might be a good idea.

Beth

Well one week later.

Ear infection feels 'drier' than last week. However I still can't ear properly. I can only seem to hear loud noises, which is fun! NOT.

I was a naughty guider, going to brownies, ummmm wasn't a brilliant idea. Athlough they are 7 to 10 years old and only 15 of them, half of my Y1 class. When anything was happening on my right hand side, I wasn't aware of things. The only good thing that happened was the 12 year old pack leader, showed some form of understanding to get my attention. The brownies even been told about my ear, forgot about it when talking to me. Oh and before you say anything, I had the doctors permission to go, since he wants to know what I can and cannot hear with that age group.

Then:

This afternoon I have been down to the hosptial for my eyes. Ummmm what utter fun, struggled to tell what he was saying to t

he point guestures of pointing had to be used, this was extremely good fun! hahahahahaha

So I now understand why the doctor signed me off sick for 2 weeks.

Lets see what the weekend brings, naughty guider part 2 off to co-run a B-P adventure weekend, lol, again with doctors permission because...yep he wants to see how my hearing is secondary school age group.

I am also starting to debated if I am working with the wrong age group. Ummm *sits and ponders*. Wonders if the doctor has a master plan! lol

Beth

Ok a week later.

Ummm guess where I have been to A&E because the right hand side of my face went scaraly numb this morning. Only to be told that I need yet more antiboitcs lovely. At least I now have a few more days off work (they are going to love me!) until I see the speicalist. My health record is poor for another job. I am starting to debate if I am ment to be going to uni in September, since today I have been told I need an operation to fix the problem. Joy yet more time off work! grrr

Does anyone have a time machine? I really could do with The Doctor to go back in time and sort this mess out. xD

Ah well at least I will have time to sort out my new guide unit which opens in September!!!! I can't wait :o since we have about 7 wannabe guides.

Fingers crossed that they can decide what effective treatment I need to fix my ear at hosptial next Tuesday.

Beth

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Well today I had a new hearing test with very interesting results!

I hope you can see the attached audiogram which I made.

Please let me explain:

I have a high frequency hearing loss with a noise inducted notch.

Left ear (black ink) is suprising at a normal hearing levels until 4000 kHz where it drops off. On this side the sounds I cannot hear is V, S, F, TH letter sounds, without hearing aids. Envronmental sounds are things like wind/trees, whispering, although I can faintly hear birds.

Right ear (red ink) is a mess (thank goodness for normal left hearing!). I have lost a few of letter sounds apart from the above sounds (too many to put down) e.g. M, T, D without hearing aids. Envronmental sounds are like water, wind/trees, whispering, birds, fire alarms.

I am glad to know that what I thought is right. I have no idea what the impact will be at work BUT I will not let it stop me working. Just because I have to temperally wear one hearing aid (which has been fixed to a unlateral hearing loss, much better hearing now) doesn't mean I can't work. I need some resonable adjustments to enable me to carry out my role. I also seem to have some sort of deafness dyslexia too. Although I am now frightened to tell work whats happened to my hearing! Its not my fault my hearing has decided to take a turn for the worse. Neither do I have an idea of what to say to work when I get back, if that makes sense. :(

Got to go back in less than 2 weeks time for a visit to the speicalist, ummm my ear has stayed dry since I stopped wearing a hearing aid on that side. So hope to get some good news and a date for the operation to fix the hole in my eardrum, but sadly not my hearing on that side.

Then a few weeks after that I can have both hearing aids back yipeeee, welcome to the hearing world again Beth! :o

If you read all that welcome to the world of a hard of hearing/deaf person! xD

Beth

post-6361-1281720050_thumb.jpg

That means I am (or was) lost for words.

Maz

I am too although I have lived with a mild to profound deafness all my life. Can't belive I have lost soo much hearing on my right ear in shuch a short space of time, just because I have had constant ear infections for the past few months plus all them strong antibiotics!

Beth

I wanted to share my experience last night. Sorry its very long.

A guider friend of mine, who has got British Sign Language (BSL) level 2, invited me to Deaf church and then onto Deaf club. I though about it, felt a little nervious but in the end deicided to go and give it a go.

WOW what an experience.

Firstly at Deaf chuch was really interesting. At church I met a lady who was on the same BSL level 1 course 10 years ago.

Then we went off to Deaf club. I finally got to chat in both sign and speech to the lady I knew. She told me her experiences of loosing her hearing to infections over a short period of time. I also signed/talked to deaf people, which was nice. I came away feeling happier than I have felt in years to the point that writing this I am nearly crying with happiness. The Deaf community where I went last night accepts people who are hearing and willing to learn BSL to people lossing their hearing later in life plus the ones who where born deaf. I am, what we assumed born deaf because I have worn a right hearing aid from the age of 6 years old.

I feel oh I don't know the word to describe how I feel at the moment. BUT I feel that whats happening to me is completly out of my hands for what looks possibly like until the end of the year (fingers crossed) but I am not going to let if affect me. Even if that means defering Uni for yet another year. Still need to wait until next week before I speak to the uni course tutor.

Yes ok I am mostly likely going to loose possibly most of my hearing on my right hand side because it is currently unaided. Unaided ears loose hearing more quickly than aided (very complicated) but so what if I go deaf quicker than expected. This is who I am and I will not let anyone put me down. Being half deaf doesn't mean I can't do things, it just means that I need them things to be done differently to people who have full hearing.

I can't wait to go back again and learn even more signs, I would like to be bi-lingual and bi-cultural over the coming months and years.

From one happier Beth!

Edited by beth1

Good news, good news.

So we take the desision to take out the right hearing aid and the results 6 weeks later is that my ear is still dry and free from infections. So that why I have been getting ear infections, the fact I wore a hearing aid all day didn't help matters.

The other good news (I think so anyway) is that I have a month for earliest operation is November 10. And hopefully 3 weeks after that say December 10 I may have my hearing aid back in whooooo thats if my hearing in that ear has not gone completly. Shame I have Degree coursework to hand in at the same time plus maths resits are in that month.

My plan is to speak to the course tutor tomorrow and find out what she think. Considering whats going on they may think its best to defer for year. I am more than happy to defer and get better grades the following year. So my back up plan is to resit gcse maths, try and get on a GCSE Biology and would love to do an AS in English if I can.

So today has been good news all around.

Beth

Great plan of mine! Can't get hold of the course tutor. Ummm try again tomorrow.

On another note I have been left dizzy all day after a nice young child screamed in the Doctors this morning. Now I am petified of going back to work!

Beth

• 1 month later...

And the silly ear infection is....back again! I have lost count of the rounds is it 4 or 5 or 6. :o

I am off work again because I can't stand up without falling over. Work will not be best pleased with me, only been back at work 3 weeks. xD So I will be in for more fun and games, since I am under soo much pressure to be at work and having a long term illness. Roll on next Tuesday when I will give them a right telling off for not fixing the ear when it was dry! grrr

I also thinking after the last hosptial appointment we fixed the hole, I get the feeling that this episode would have been prevented grrr.

So keeping the ear dry, warm and not wearing an hearing aid did wonders NOT! I must have low immunity to keep getting this ear infected!

Beth

Guest MaryEMac

Bless you Beth. You've certainly been through the mill over the last few months. You give them what for when you go next week. Keep your chin up.

Mary x