Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Flow Snack/garden

Hi....just a quick question before I leave for work regarding free flow.

I work in the pre school room of a large nursery. We have only one garden for the 3 rooma and share our garden time between the toddlers and the babies....we are allocated an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. During this time the children choose either to go outside, stay inside or have their snack. We can only have a max of 12 children outside and we manage who is out or in by a system of the children putting their names up on a velcro board as they go out and taking them off when they come in. My question is how do you manage the times when most children want to be outside and there is a child inside who really wants to go out but there isn't enough space for them to go out?? Is it just a case of gentle persuasion for someone to come in so someone else can go out....?? And what about the children who just don't want to stop playing to have their snack at all?....sorry this isn't very detailed...hope someone understands what I mean and can give some advice!

Gotta go......:)

Hi Chubbler

is there any scope for changing the number of staff outside....just wondering why the limit on 12 children. In our setting we alter the numbers of staff inside and out depending on the numbers of children.

Hi Chubbler

is there any scope for changing the number of staff outside....just wondering why the limit on 12 children. In our setting we alter the numbers of staff inside and out depending on the numbers of children.

Hi...I'll have to look into that....my manager has just always said the garden is only big enough for 12 children...and we have just gone by that.....in my opinion we could have more children outside, and then add more staff accordingly as you say....I'll have to ask her where the "12" came from...it would definitely help to be able to have more children outside.

Thanks

We can have 24 altogether in the pre school room. I will query the 12 tomorrow! everyone just assumes I suppose that because it always has been 12 outside then that's the way it will always be! Thanks for the advice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)