Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

More/less In Yr

Does anyone have any fab ideas for teaching more and less as part of the numeracy session to reception children? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have any fab ideas, but any practical activities will do - currant buns song - how many will be left when child buys one more? How many coins will baker be holding when child buys one more bun? etc etc

I also play lots of dice games with the children and find that bingo lends itself well to all manner of mathematical concepts. We regularly play "dice score plus 1" bingo and similar (e.g. plus 2 or 3, or minus 1). Later on we will play double the dice score! The only thing is you will need to prepare some bingo boards in advance.

Good luck :D

I couldnt find this topic again when I was looking, Nicnic would you mind if we moved it (anyone..?) to somewhere more prominent.

I think we need to remember that more and less has different meanings and Im not sure which one it is you are having trouble with.

The idea of one more/one less for example is usually quite straight forward to children as is the notion 'please can I have some more?' This can be well taught using songs and ryhmes such as ASPK suggests.

However, the idea of comparison of 2 sets to determine who has more, and by how many, is much more difficult for a lot of children to grasp. Children need to handle this with numbrs they are very familiar with so that they can see equivalence, ( has everyone got the same number of bears/apples/buttons on their coat etc and from their use initially the lanaguage of more. Positioning counters/bears /buttons etc on number tracks (not lines) are a good way of showing this but only when children are ready to. Strangley enough, children find numerical comparison more difficutl than other kinds of comparison (eg I have more playdough, more water, less sand is easier for them to see).

sorry im not sure if that helps?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)