Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rent

Hi all

I guess this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything using the search function so I'm posting a fresh thread.

I'm interested to know how much you pay in rent. We are a committe run setting and we are lucky enough to have our own bulding and grounds leased from the council on a peppercorn rent (we do pay our own maintenance and utiltites though).

We are also lucky (well through lots of hard work really) to have secured funding for a new building. But, when we break up for the summer we wont be back on our site until Easter 2011 while we wait for the demolition of our building and the new build to be complete.

We have secured a temporary place to go (an empty nursery) and are currently negotiating rent with the owners. To try and benchmark whether the rent they want to charge us is fair I'd be grateful if you would share what you pay with me please.

I'll start with what they want to charge us - £1300 per month to include utiltilities and building insurance. We'll have use of two rooms, a small office, toilets and a very small kitchen. Outdoors is a tarmacced area that we'll have to fence off. We'll have sole use of the nursery but only open mornings at the moment. We'll be taking our own resources and arranging our own cleaning.

So what do you think - fair or not?

RR

Hi

Firstly you're so lucky to be in a position to be having premises purpose built for you, and also to have secured temporary premises. I've been looking for suitable premises to start my own nursery with a friend since January without success, admittedly around the London area - we've been quoted figures in the region of £30,000 to rent church halls that we would have to pack away (minimal storage) each night. Obviously London areas are going to be more expensive, which area are you in.

Our rent is around £500 per month. Electric and heating are included in the rent and a cleaner pretends to come once a week. We dont have an outside area, just a small place at the back of the church hall where we try to grow stuff in containers.

well, I guess the real answer is it doesn't much matter what I pay in rent ( £4,000 per year plus utilities/insurance etc), because these people can ask what they like for it! But...........if you would be the sole user, is there any reason why you couldn't use it all day, I know this would mean extra wages etc, but it might bring in enough extra revenue to cover more of the rent and it would also have the benefit of getting people used to the idea that you will ( presumably???) be an all day provision when you move?

Could youe EYDO give you an idea of what similar rents are for groups in your area?? That might give you room to negotiate, but at the end of the day, if the building is ready and suitable for your needs, you might just have to bite the bullet and go with it? ( another thought: if you close for the summer, would they accept you not paying rent for that period?)

Thanks everyone.

The rents around here (Midlands) are so varied that I was interested in what others pay around the country. But it seems to be that variety is the name of the game everywhere :o

With regard to all day opening, this is something we are planning when we have our new building, but as the temporary site is a few miles away I don't yet know how many of our parents/children will be coming with us or how many we might attract from the 'new' area. So we thought it best to stay with our current hours for now (well move to the 15 hours from Sept) and then look at additional provision once we are back 'home'. Hope that makes sense.

I can understand the arguement that we are paying for sole us but it's been empty for 2 years so whatever they get from us is better than nothing xD

I'll go back and see if they'll do a bit of bartering.

Cheers

RR

Depends if they think you are desperate! Have you a plan B?

No plan B - we are desparate xD

But, I do know them very well from another area of our business so I know that they will have asked for the top end, expecting me to try and barter them down - they won't be disappointed :o

RR

Could you try to find cheaper buildings insurance? It seems a very high rent, considering you are paying your own utilities and only operating part-time. We're extremely fortunate with our rent, also sole users who are maintaining the building - which is beneficial to the building which would otherwise fall into decay very quickly! were paying per term what you are paying per month! What other overheads do the owners have?

When we set our rent with our building owners, she brought figures to the table showing all her overheads and we agreed what we could pay, and she was happy with our decision, with the promise that we would try to find grant funding for any major works we wanted

Could you try to find cheaper buildings insurance? It seems a very high rent, considering you are paying your own utilities and only operating part-time.

Just to clarify - we pay our own utilities for our own building but the temporary setting will include utilities and building insurance. I'll ask them how they came to their figure though - thanks for that Cait.

RR

The figure you have been quoted seems pretty fair really, we pay about £1500 a month to the school we rent from and that is inclusive like yours, if you add up what you pay in untilities/rent and insurance on your present place it may be that you will be paying pretty near that anyway and the bonus is that 'buildings' stuff if it needs doing will have to be paid for by them too. Try negotiataing it down if you are sure you won't lose it - maybe discuss what your paying at the moment and try for a figure nearer that ? Good luck. :o