Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Compulsory Level 3? Yes Or No

Ok, I was under the impression that is would be compulsory from 2010 for any childcarer included in ratio to have a level 3 and that there should be a eyp in every setting by 2015......... Am I wrong?? Can anyone point me in the direction of something official stating this please?

I know I read it somewhere but 3 of my girls are doing their level 3 now and one has just been told that there isn't anything anywhere saying that level 3 will be compulsory at any time!

I'm really confused and I want to call both ofsted and the cwdc with proof that this is written somewhere - if it is xD

Can anyone help please? I'd like to try and do this tonight before they close at 8pm lol

Thanks so much in advance :o

I am unaware of any official changes.

The EYP in every full daycare setting by 2015 is a government 'aim' - what will happen in 2015 when there are thousands of settings without an EYP is anyones guess I think!

The qualifications necessary for staff to be included in ratios is set out in the EYFS and this of course is up for review in the Autumn.

If there were offical changes in requirements I am sure settings would have been notified and we have certainly not heard anything.

In general terms the Government's aim is to increase the quality of the Early Years Workforce - hence the EYP and I did read something about having all practitioners qualified to level 3 but again only within the context of being an aspiration.

As far as I am aware it is a requirment that anyone supervising in a setting must have level 3 but think the addtional 'at least half the other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification' still stands

Not sure this helps much, hope someone will be along with more informative info.

Off for a hunt to see if I can find anything though!

I genuinely believe that if new legislation was due to come into force regarding level 3s we would know about it. We have been talking about the need for EYPs in 2015 for some time now and that hasn't changed from being a government aim

Louby loo is right. It was an aspiration in the 10 year plan but the date was 2015 too. CWDC hadn't even necessarily got on board with it as I spoke to one of their representatives at a conference and expressed concern about how we would be able to employ parents who had a wealth of experience but no qualifications. I couldn't see them working for nothing for a couple of years while they got the qualification. I also pointed out that sometimes a younger person with a level 3 but very little experience outside of their college placements isn't the right option for a business like mine where the parents really value the fact they are leaving their children with more mature staff. The lady told me I wasn't the only one to have raised these points and that it hadn't been decided how this aspiration would work in reality. I assume now it will have simply been dropped.

Guest jenpercy
Louby loo is right. It was an aspiration in the 10 year plan but the date was 2015 too. CWDC hadn't even necessarily got on board with it as I spoke to one of their representatives at a conference and expressed concern about how we would be able to employ parents who had a wealth of experience but no qualifications. I couldn't see them working for nothing for a couple of years while they got the qualification. I also pointed out that sometimes a younger person with a level 3 but very little experience outside of their college placements isn't the right option for a business like mine where the parents really value the fact they are leaving their children with more mature staff. The lady told me I wasn't the only one to have raised these points and that it hadn't been decided how this aspiration would work in reality. I assume now it will have simply been dropped.

this applies in spades for an out of school Club. The younger people with Level3 often seem to be uncomfortable working with older children and children with challenging behaviour. we also find t

HI ,

A school TA level 3 does not count in Pre-schools though. I interviewed someone who had done a learning support 'level 3' which she said was completed in 3 months. When I checked with the College it wasn't any use for me as a qualification. They advised me she would need to do an NVQ3 in CCLD .

My point being it can't be that difficult if you can complete it in 3 months.

Can a peron who holds CLLD2 be accepted as the deputy supervisor, or must they have NVQ 3 ( sorry if they are both the same thing, I'm unsure!). I understood a deputy must be level 3 too, if they have to cover for the supervisors absence?

Guest jenpercy

do you mean CCLD and doesn't the 2 mean it is Level 2? There are 22 pages of qualifications for a Supervisor on this website ranging from 100% suitable, to 23%. OFSTED told me that there had to be a Level3 present at all times, although when I explained my 15 years experience, the fact that I was half way through and that my Supervisor had cancer and could be ill at short notice, I was allowed to open, provided I could assure her that I had a Level3 available on the end of a phone at all times. This made me laugh as I am the boss and they ask me what to do.

http://eypquals.cwdcouncil.org.uk/public/index.asp

And the CWDC is one of the quangos that is getting huge budget cuts.

Oh dear!

I had read it was Level 3 in preschools by 2015, this is what we've advised staff.

Interesting: when I called Ofsted to explain I had cancer and might be off at short notice, they said I HAD to have a level 3 on site at all times, which was fine in fact, since my deputy is level 3, but I did wonder what would happen if she was off ill.I guess we would have had to close?

Can a peron who holds CLLD2 be accepted as the deputy supervisor, or must they have NVQ 3 ( sorry if they are both the same thing, I'm unsure!). I understood a deputy must be level 3 too, if they have to cover for the supervisors absence?

I questioned this when I had my registration visit with the lovely lady from Ofsted, apprently there must always be a level 3 on site but the deputy doesn't need to hold a level 3. My deputy didn't pass her level 3 until March, we had our Ofsted in January and our Inspector was fine with this.

kris

HI ,

A school TA level 3 does not count in Pre-schools though. I interviewed someone who had done a learning support 'level 3' which she said was completed in 3 months. When I checked with the College it wasn't any use for me as a qualification. They advised me she would need to do an NVQ3 in CCLD .

My point being it can't be that difficult if you can complete it in 3 months.

Our level 3 (school TA) has the NNEB which does count in pre schools

We were also told the NVQ 3 was being replaced by a new qualification

Well I was told that providing it was an emergency and providing our committee 'agreed' to it then they would be held responsible if anything went wrong. To be honest it wasn't really a yes or no, more they (in they being the committee) need to realise what the consequences could be??? I gave up in the end as I wasn't prepared for some wooly answers to what does or doesn't constitute an emergency