Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Under Threes

HappyMaz

I've just seen this on Twitter. Apparently research has proved that children who attend an early education setting before the age of three score more highly on the Foundatio Stage Profile.

Discuss... :o

Maz

At last a report which recognises the positives of early years. I wonder if this will reach the 'powers that be' and help to increase the profile of our work and dare I say it...the pay?

Bit confused over the Ofsted gradings and their impact on the scores - seems topsy turvy!!

Edit: still think it's a shame children are scored at such an early age

Edited by gingerbreadman

This is all utterly fascinating really. I was struck by the quote from Nursery World:

Co-author of the report David Wilkinson said, ‘In terms of FSP on our outcomes we don’t find variation by sector in terms of providers.’ However he said that in naming vocabulary tests, ‘when you look at those outcomes it looks like children in maintained settings [nursery schools and classes] do better.’ But the study also found that children in maintained settings had ‘significant worse scores on the pro-social behaviour scale than those in private settings.

Maz

And the report that Ive read in the Times today says that nursery education on the whole makes little significant difference to the attainment of children later on and calls for a later start to formal education as a result!

Your link, isnt working atm, so not sure if it is the same report with a different interpretation?!

Your link, isnt working atm, so not sure if it is the same report with a different interpretation?!

I got this error report:

Sorry...

The website you are trying to access is currently undergoing essential maintenance.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Normal service should be resumed shortly.

It strikes me that there are so many ways to interpret data, and the cynic in me says that perhaps sometimes there is more than a little political colour added when reported by some parts of the media. :o

Maz

It strikes me that there are so many ways to interpret data, and the cynic in me says that perhaps sometimes there is more than a little political colour added when reported by some parts of the media. :o

Maz

Definitely!! Irritation strikes when the 'undercover' tv reports are quickly followed by authors printing damning research on young children in daycare..as if parents need anyore reasons to feel guilty. I was just pleased to see the albeit brief positive reference to pre pre-school and not just praising 'proper mursery'!

No doubt under the new government, reports will appear depending on decisions being made on curriculums and guidance.

Made me laugh the bit about Ofsted and outcomes for children - will be quoting that if we get a rubbish ofsted next time round :oxD:(

There are two points that I can see which may add to the discussion.

My observation is that Early Years providers who can be seen to be supporting children with special needs are more likely to recieve Outstanding from Ofsted. This may account for high Ofsted results of settings not correlating with high FS scores.

Secondly, the children of more educated parents may be more likely to attend Early Years settings from an early age. This may also account for children in EY settings doing better at FS.

Fe

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)