Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Still No Manager!

Hi all

Well not really sure what we should do. The advert for manager of school club has been advertised for over a month and still only the one candidate. The deputy is getting annoyed but what can we do?

Just heard of another school club about 15 miles away forced to close due to lack of staff! we are already competing with another newly set up school club in a village about 6 miles away. They are advertising for manager and staff.

Perhaps if we just managed to get another level 3 playworker and then say a manager to just do paperwork, rotas etc but not actually be with kids? Thinking if that was allowed I may be able to do that? What do you think?

Not sure how long we can carry on without manager. The chair did mention what would happen if we closed...old comm member said it would go private but seeing as we are having difficulty recruiting not sure how private company would fare better!

Any ideas?

Might it be worth doing some head hunting?

I agree - sometimes you need to be hit over the head with an opportunity before you seriously think you could do it!

I had to be persuaded to apply for my current job seven years ago, and look where it has led me. So if you know someone who would be really good, ask them if they'd like to apply.

Oh and marley - consider what you'll say when they ask you to apply! Perhaps you should think about it again? :o

Maz

Guest jenpercy

I do not have a Level 3 and I have a Supervisor in place (I am the Manager). OFSTED needs to know 1) that all the necessaries are being done re day to day running and then that someone is doing all the necessaries re Safer recruiting, writing policies etc - and they need not be the same person. However, with all the new emphasis on Self Assessment, reflection etc, there is still a lot for the day to day person to do. for example, er got satisfactory in our inspection. Looking at the write-up of a competitor who got satisfactory with loads of non-complimentary comments, and thinking of what the inspector said on the day, you now need to sell yourself to OFSTED to survive.

I have been saying all along that if every school starts an after-school club, they won't all be able to because there won't be enough qualified staff and enough children to go round. (If you see what I mean). there is more and more work to do. Seems to me that someone who is prepared to put in at least 4 hours a day non-contact is necessary, at least at critical times

I agree - sometimes you need to be hit over the head with an opportunity before you seriously think you could do it!

I had to be persuaded to apply for my current job seven years ago, and look where it has led me. So if you know someone who would be really good, ask them if they'd like to apply.

Oh and marley - consider what you'll say when they ask you to apply! Perhaps you should think about it again? :o

Maz

Well funny you should say this maz. They have just asked if i would apply! I said I love my pre-school job, do not have experience with older children, like the school hols (hubby is teacher!) so would not be suitable. They have said they could recruit another lev 3 playworker, I could do all admin, rotas, form filling etc, go in on the nights i can (could actually go in most nights as finish pre-school 1.30 mon-wed and at 4 ,thurs, fri) to sort other stuff/staff etc and would not have to work hols just be bank if available. Could this work do you think?

I could do it as trial i suppose and I would still have my pre-school job so nothing lost if i hated it!

Going to committee meeting tonight so will see what the rest say. Will have to resign from committee also if i went for it.

What do you think?

you have the knowledge to do the job, and if happy doing the admin side it could work, you need to know how many hours they would pay you to do the job.. etc.. and if it fits in with other work.. may be easier than committee work which is unpaid!

the After school club would have to understand that it is a 2 way thing and they would have to be very flexible with the hours etc..

I used to work 2 settings and it worked well if they were both aware and flexible enough...

only question I have is how much will it impact on family life and would you be happy doing it..

also consider who you see yourself in a few years time..

is there something you would like to do to progress your career and will taking this help or hinder..

good luck with your decision..

Inge

you have the knowledge to do the job, and if happy doing the admin side it could work, you need to know how many hours they would pay you to do the job.. etc.. and if it fits in with other work.. may be easier than committee work which is unpaid!

the After school club would have to understand that it is a 2 way thing and they would have to be very flexible with the hours etc..

I used to work 2 settings and it worked well if they were both aware and flexible enough...

only question I have is how much will it impact on family life and would you be happy doing it..

also consider who you see yourself in a few years time..

is there something you would like to do to progress your career and will taking this help or hinder..

good luck with your decision.

Inge

Sound advice as usual Inge. Have spoken to hubby he says its up to me. Will definately need the flexibility etc. At comm meet tonight will tell them I require this flexibility etc etc and see what they say. Think it would be best to pay me for the hours i do as opposed to a set number of hours per week. Nice to know that others have done this though. You never know may go to meet tonight and there be a different solution! Will let you know!

Well lots of things to consider. We have just received a late application from a playworker. so going to interview her as well as the other (she is nursery/babies tho!). I am also trying to persuade deputy still who is thinking about it. Would be better if we could get someone but obviously not just for the sake of it. Closing date is mon. I will be involved in interviewing and we will take it from there. The chair and i put forward our proposal about me managing only and deputy being overall supervisor as a possible option if there is no-one suitable and they were positive but said we should have to look into costs etc of hiring extra level 3 along with paying me only certain hours. Think we all agree finding suitable manager is first priority. Fingers crossed that one candidate will be suitable.

Will keep you informed.

Guest Spiral

Gosh, it does seem to be so difficult to recruit at the moment - we have found the same.

Just a thought; If you had a 'supernumerary leader/manager', they would be able to act fast when needed, yet ensure the rest of the team have everything they need and also be able to do paperwork at the club, not out of hours. Wouldn't that be a great managerial post and if so, would it really be more expensive?

Maybe do some projections and see how it balances?

very best of luck, hope it all gets sorted soon,

Spiral.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)