Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Left Handers And Scissors

Just wondered if anyone had an views....

One of our parents has asked for some advice for her 2 1/2 year old... she is showing some tendencies towards left handedness and I've advised her that children can switch and not show a true preference until later on... but she is wondering whether to encourage the use of scissors in her left hand or her right or does it not matter?

I'm left handed myself and would say that it is really important to use left handed scissors and be shown how to cut out anti-clockwise... but what if the child hasn't got a preference?

Any views would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Im left handed and i use right handed scissors in my left hand also i think i cut out clockwise does it really matter just as long as they are comfortable and able to do so.

I think at that age it's best to wait and see. I know plenty of children who write left handed but prefer to use their right hand for cutting out or just prefer to use right handed scissors in their left hand.

If there are left handed scissors in the setting could you show her how to use these and demonstrate cutting with them and then jjust see which one she uses most naturally? At this age I'd be reluctant to get mum to purchase special equipment which the child might not actually want to use.

i am also left handed and cannot acutally use left handed scissors. grew up not having the choice!

use right handed ones in left hand,

i think everyone finds thier own way of cutting, i look confused when doing most things everyone at work says cause doing it my own way.

i have found that growing up i leanrt to "flip" over any instructions i was given in how to do something so that i could do it, just became a matter of course really.

also agree child prob has not chosen yet

Guest jenpercy

As a very old leftie I also can't use left-handed scissors. I would say that they wouold make a difference when child finds it possible to start cutting accurately - but that will be after handedness has been chosen - and even then some children can use both/either

Well speaking as a right-handed mother of 3 left handers + one left handed g/daughter I would say- dont bother and just let her choose herself. 2 of mine use right handed scissors in their left hand- they cant cut with their left hand, despite doing everything else with it!! The others use whatever they can get in their left hand

which hand does she pick up things with? and which foot does she use to kick with? - might give you more idea which she is preferring ( i have one right and one left handed daughter...i'm right handed OH left handed......eating at a table together is a nightmare :oxD )

Guest jenpercy

Thinking about it, I don't know anyone myself who eats left handed with both a knife and fork - so it can't be all bad to cross train.

Actually I do Egyptian dance - I learn a lot of movements on the right with everyone else and as a result although everyone else, including my teacher finds one side more difficult - I don't.

I even learnt cane twirling right handed. Teacher said I could start with left, but I knew that to dance with everyone else I would need to do right. If I want to learn left for solo or even double cane, this would then be quite, or relatively easy. And before this, I was very left dominant.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)