Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dolly's Wheelchair

I wonder if you lovely lot can help me? A friend is looking for a toy wheelchair, but doesn't know where to find one. What she's after is one the same kind of size as a baby buggy (ie one that the child can put a baby in, and push around the setting) rather than one of those small world ones for use on a table top or on floor play.

I can find quite a few of the small world type, but haven't found the bigger version.

Thanks in advance!

Maz

I wonder if you lovely lot can help me? A friend is looking for a toy wheelchair, but doesn't know where to find one. What she's after is one the same kind of size as a baby buggy (ie one that the child can put a baby in, and push around the setting) rather than one of those small world ones for use on a table top or on floor play.

I can find quite a few of the small world type, but haven't found the bigger version.

Thanks in advance!

Maz

Sorry can't post a picture but is this what you are looking for

http://www.ascoeducational.co.uk/product.php?xProd=211

I'd say that looks just about perfect! Thanks Geraldine! Just shows how far I actually looked, doesn't it? Or that my searching technique is very inefficient.

Thanks - I'll pass it on. Might even buy one myself!

Maz

I'd say that looks just about perfect! Thanks Geraldine! Just shows how far I actually looked, doesn't it? Or that my searching technique is very inefficient.

Thanks - I'll pass it on. Might even buy one myself!

Maz

I think it is lovely but also think £129 is a bit pricey :o

Might even buy one myself!

Mind you, then I noticed the price - £129.50 plus VAT. :o It does look sturdy though, so might be worth the investment.

What do other people think: would you invest in a wheelchair like this for your setting?

Maz

Hi,

Do you know what really annoys me??? The EYFS is supposed to be all about equal opps and inclusion so why is any equipment that you want to buy to promote this really really over-priced. Even the small world eqiupment costs more if there is a doll that is in a wheelchair, has a walking stick etc. It's so frustrating that if you want to provide toys for the children that celebrate this diverse world in which we live you pay way over the normal price.

Ok just had to get that off my chest :oxD

Rapunzel

p.s The wheelchair is really nice, and if I still worked in a nursery I would be tempted by it

If I had a 'money no object' budget then probably yes. We currently have the one pictured below and it is played with regularly. Interestingly the younger ones just treat it a a buggy but the older ones know the difference - whenever they use it there is always a 'reason' for the chosen doll being in the wheelchair as opposed to the buggy. We haven't had it that long and so far all the play has revolved around the dolls being hurt, broken legs etc as opposed to being disabled - though physical disability is evident in stories, pictures etc the notion that someone may be permanently in a wheelchair is seemingly a tricky concept for little ones = well in our setting anyway!

post-1999-1275845571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geraldine

How big is the you have Geraldine? Where did it come from? And was it cheaper than £129.50 + VAT? :o

It is interesting what you say about how the older and younger children use the wheelchair, isn't it? And I entirely agree with you Rapunnzel, it does seem unfair that inclusive resources cost a lot more than everything else!

I'm about to have an ECERS audit - wonder if I should use some of my £650 on a wheelchair?

Maz

Gosh, I was lucky, I got mine, plus the walking stick, zimmer frame, hearing aid,glasses crutches etc for the princely sum of £1.....yes,£1, when the consortium was having one of its fabulous sales. They have tightened up on their pricing now, and this year aren't having a sale,so no more bargains for me!

Thanks Cait - is this a small world one or a bigger one that children can push their babies around in? I'm having trouble visualising how tall 28cm is! :o

Maz

Hm, yes, 28cm is just under a foot.

I did a google search and there were loads - the nicest was in america (of course) and was just like the real thing at $58 or something, but sold out!

We have a similair wheelchair that came with a set of disablity dolls. The dolls have long gone but the wheelchair survives. I remember the 'blind' doll came with a pair of dark glasses and a small fluffy dog on a lead :o The set didn't last long

We haven't had it that long and so far all the play has revolved around the dolls being hurt, broken legs etc as opposed to being disabled - though physical disability is evident in stories, pictures etc the notion that someone may be permanently in a wheelchair is seemingly a tricky concept for little ones = well in our setting anyway

'Baby Jesus' lost an arm and dispite the caretaker making various attempts to glue it back on it remains limbless. Broken toys are usually discarded but the PSHE that came from 'Baby Jesus' disablity was lovely so he remains armless and still called 'Baby Jesus' and is the most popular doll!

We have a child with a sibling in an electric wheelchair, a parent with mobilty problems and a child with a blind parent who uses a cane so our disablity awareness happens daily. Our role play happens naturally!! Maybe you could organise a visit from a wheelchair user?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)