Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessments

I teach in a small village school with one foundation class. We share our outside area with a privately run preschool. I have a general risk assessment (1 side of A4) that I completed with the children. Unfortunately ofsted are due and I have discovered talking to other people that I should have more risk assessments, but no one needs to know what. Should I have them for individual activities, someone said I should do one every day but this doesn't seem feasible. Please help. I have been given time next week to sort this out, but can't do anything unless I know what is needed.

I would love to hear what other teachers do.

Not in a school but we are a private Nursery in school buildings - we have a daily 'sweep' sheet (one side of A4) which covers the stuff we need to check daily like fire exits etc, plus a separate sheet for the garden which is done weekly ( checking equipment and surfaces etc. - garden is also on daily sheet for stuff like cat poo :o ) and we do a termly assessment of the whole setting , ( we use the Preschool learning alliance one but sure the school will have a format you can use) We also have risk assessments for trips out of setting. OFSTED more than happy with that when they came in January. xD .Ohh and a fire risk assessment which is done by the school as our landlords. :(

Thanks that was really helpful. What do you do them for? I am beginning to get a clearer picture of what needs to be in place.

Guest tinkerbell

I too work in a small village school and the school risk assessments cover all sorts of events and areas.eg outside ones .....playground,school field,climbing frame etc We write them as we deem necessary so for example I asked my children to bring in their bikes for a day...I needed to write a risk assessment. So a nything out of the ordinary would need one if risk is involved.

we always write one for anywalk or visit outside school but its pretty quick to adapt one that is already on the system.

Tinkerbellx

Guest jenpercy

I think the daily business comes from confusion between risk assessment, done once but reviewed termly, or whenver significant changes occur, new child wi th disabilities, change in balance of age groups etc as well as change to premises, and a daily tick sheet, where someone certifies that they have checked for the possible hazards identified by the risk assessment (and any others)

We have been advised to do this too but I've ignored that advice as politely as I can. It doesn't say it in the EYFS and I simply don't have the time to have a written risk assessment on everything. You probably wouldn't believe the detail I have been advised to use - well you might but..... I have a daily RA which includes checking all equipment as it is put out (packaway setting) and I will stick with this. I have also written a simple RA for regular activities which covers things such as ensuring foods chosen for baking, snack or any other activities are safe for all children's ages and stages and food allergies/intolerances. I'm not planning to do more than that and when my advisor asks again in a couple of weeks as I'm sure she will I will be telling her so - again!

I thinkit does say it...

Specific legal requirements

Risk assessment

The provider must conduct a risk assessment and review it regularly – at least once a year or more

frequently where the need arises.

The risk assessment must identify aspects of the environment that need to be checked on a

regular basis: providers must maintain a record of these particular aspects and when and by whom

they have been checked. Providers must determine the regularity of these checks according to

their assessment of the significance of individual risks.

The provider must take all reasonable steps to ensure that hazards to children – both indoors and

outdoors – are kept to a minimum.

Statutory guidance to which providers should have regard

The risk assessment should cover anything with which a child may come into contact.

So....I think you have to have some regard to the resources but maybe not everyday!! You would however be checking as you put stuff out as part of your normal routines I would imagine.

Cx

Edited by catma

Well yes catma we do. I was being a bit flippant perhaps with what I said. We do have a risk assessment which goes through all kinds of equipment and we do that one once a year or when we make changes if that happens more often. But my advisor wants a daily checklist of everything, and I mean everything! We do visual checks on a daily basis anyway. I actually think it is one of the advantages of being packaway in that we physically handle and put out every single thing every day. I have shown her the annual RA, the daily one and everything else we have and it still isn't enough in her book!

Guest jenpercy

Just had OFSTED in twice in a year as we failed first time, so a daily checklist was unacceptable without a detail risk assessment with control measures. And of course vice versa. We wrote a new one for the premises, which details hazard, nature of risk, control measures ans who will do this. Well that was the one for the premises. some of the others are less complicated. THis is on computer at work - so will post it later

Just had OFSTED in twice in a year as we failed first time, so a daily checklist was unacceptable without a detail risk assessment with control measures. And of course vice versa. We wrote a new one for the premises, which details hazard, nature of risk, control measures ans who will do this. Well that was the one for the premises. some of the others are less complicated. THis is on computer at work - so will post it later

that would be so helpful jenpercy thank you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)