Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

E105 - Professional Practice In The Early Years

Anyone planning on doing this in October? I've been toying with the idea, I really wish I had done it last October so I was nearly done lol.

It looks like a lot of paper work though?

It's towards the FDEY or the BAEY, I've already done E123 and E124 in 2009, this replaces E115 I believe.

Anyone planning on doing this in October? I've been toying with the idea, I really wish I had done it last October so I was nearly done lol.

It looks like a lot of paper work though?

Yes, I'm registered for this one, just finished E100, already done level 2 ED209. It is a lot of paperwork but necessary - and I'm quite looking forward to it now.

What sort of things does it entail, what are these EYCLO I keep hearing about lol

E105 is a new course being presented for the first time in October this year and replaces E115.

Don't worry about the term EYCLOs as they have been replaced with something else.

I have been involved in the new course, commenting on the course content as it was written, amended and rewritten and though I have not seen all the blocks of study the ones I have seen look fantastic and the TMAs I have seen are really clear and very well presented.

There is quite a bit of paperwork but in re writing the course the OU really did take on board all the student comments about the amount of paperwork. You will still have some 'recording forms' but they are no longer 'EYCLOs' and whereas E115 had 12 forms the new course only has 7 :o

I honestly think the best advice is wait until the materials arrive and just go through it step by step.

Though in essence it is 'the same' as E115 it is a new course and therefore the changes are significant and perhaps all the advice from current/past E115 students could possibly cause confusion (though I am sure well intended!)

However there are some things such as RPC (reflective practice cycle) and TLM (three layer model) which E115 students will be familiar with and these do feature in E105.

Good luck I am sure you will enjoy it

Edited by Geraldine

Hello,

I am doing E100 at the moment but really want to start this course (E105) in October - I can't see that without overlapping courses I'm going to finish the FDEY within any sort of progressive time frame.

I hope that as I'm ahead and coping well with the E100 I can enrol for E105 before the E100 finishes - has anyone else done this or been told they cannot?

Carla..

Hello,

I am doing E100 at the moment but really want to start this course (E105) in October - I can't see that without overlapping courses I'm going to finish the FDEY within any sort of progressive time frame.

I hope that as I'm ahead and coping well with the E100 I can enrol for E105 before the E100 finishes - has anyone else done this or been told they cannot?

Carla..

hi,

I have overlapped courses in the past. I have just overlapped the E115 (level 1) and U212 (level 2). It has taken up a lot of my spare time but it is possible as long as you are prepared to do a lot of work.

I am thinking about overlapping again next year with the E215 and KE312 however I am going to wait and see how much work is involved in the E215 before I make my decision, I suspect it will be too much

Rapunzel

hi,

I have overlapped courses in the past. I have just overlapped the E115 (level 1) and U212 (level 2). It has taken up a lot of my spare time but it is possible as long as you are prepared to do a lot of work.

I am thinking about overlapping again next year with the E215 and KE312 however I am going to wait and see how much work is involved in the E215 before I make my decision, I suspect it will be too much

Rapunzel

As you have found, it is possible to overlap courses and many students do so and manage perfectly well.

I have done E215 and KE312 but not together. I think it is worth just pointing out that these two courses together are worth 120 poings which is the equivalent of full time study and the maximum allowed by the OU. the other thing worth bearing in mind is that KE312 is a level 3 course. I found the jump from level 2 to level 3 (in terms of the standard of academic writing expected) quite noticeable.

Having said that everyones circumstances are different and what it right for one is not necessarily right for another. I have completed my BA Early Years with the OU but my choices of overlapping courses were very limited as all the courses I took were being presented for the first time. Good luck with the decision making and with your continued study, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I actually miss the study but will be starting again in October this year with a maths course!

Hello,

Carla..

Hi

I was going to reply and say I thought it would be OK to register for E105 whilst still studying E100 but then thought I would check it out first! The answer is yes you can, you need to link your study to the FD (GO1) if you haven't already done so. Here is what I found on the E105 site :

Before you register for this course you must be registered for G01 or E37 in Scotland, and you must already have:

•completed or be studying The early years: developing practice (E100)

Hope this helps and good luck with your study

Thank you Geraldine for a definitive answer!

I have just finished TMA 01 of E100 apart from the reference list which I plan on doing tomorrow. That's an entire 3 weeks ahead of schedule - I'm quite pleased with myself!

Carla..

Thank you Geraldine for a definitive answer!

I have just finished TMA 01 of E100 apart from the reference list which I plan on doing tomorrow. That's an entire 3 weeks ahead of schedule - I'm quite pleased with myself!

Carla..

Well done Carla!! lovely name by the way :)

I've just finished E100 and will be doing the E105 in October... I really enjoyed the E100 though it did get more time consuming as time went along...

I'm going to keep reading the course books from E100 and making notes up until October as E105 uses the same ones.

Aww thanks - I rather like your name too!! :o

Yes I did see on the E105 website that the readers are the same so that's good - I'm quite well acquainted with them now. I have contacted the student registration regarding enrolment so I will post an update when they reply to me.

Carla..

Well done Carla!! lovely name by the way :)

I've just finished E100 and will be doing the E105 in October... I really enjoyed the E100 though it did get more time consuming as time went along...

I'm going to keep reading the course books from E100 and making notes up until October as E105 uses the same ones.

I've received a reply reserving my place on the E105 and should receive the paperwork through the post..

I know it's very early days but this OU study seems very straight forward.

Hi I have just registered for this course. I am looking forward to getting back into studying, I completed E123/E124(now E100) a couple of years ago and started E115 but due to personnel reasons had to quit the course just after passing the first set of TMAs, so it will be intersting to see how much the course has changed. I know have a tight schedule to get my foundation degree completed before the time limit so will have to overlap courses at some stage.

Good luck everyone lets make the most of the summer before the hard work begins in Oct.

Tink69

and started E115 but due to personnel reasons had to quit the course just after passing the first set of TMAs, so it will be intersting to see how much the course has changed.

Tink69

I think you will like what you see :o and I will be really interested to hear your views when you get going, especially in light of you having some experience of E115.

The EYCLOs have gone - but don't get too excited they have been replaced with something else but there are only 7 instead of 12. I have seen some of the blocks of study and some of the TMAs and it looks really good to me and is bang up to date - happy studying xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)