Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice For New Teaching Assistants!

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forum (in fact, new to forums in general!) so apologies if this is in the wrong place! xD

I will be starting work as a full-time Level 2 TA in a Reception class in September :o - can't wait to get my teeth into the new job! I have worked for many years as a pre-school leader, so am familiar with the fun and challenge of working with young children, and with EYFS/EYFSP.

But does anyone have any advice about being a TA - practical, things-you-should-know stuff that the books don't tell you!!? Or perhaps any really good publications or websites that will help me, and give me plenty of ideas when I start my new role? (Apart from this one of course - I'm sure I'll be spending many happy hours browsing these pages!)

Many thanks!

Hi and welcome, moorland. Congratulations on the new job.

You will in the first instance probably need to be guided by your school and the team in which you work as everyone has different expectations. But you should have a job description to help you determine any holes you might have and that might be a good starting point but I am sure with your experience so far you wont need to worry too much and will be an asset to the team that work in.

Have fun!

Thanks for your comments - I can't believe how much useful information there is on the forum! Wish I'd signed up years ago!

Thanks for your comments - I can't believe how much useful information there is on the forum! Wish I'd signed up years ago!

Welcome to the Forum moorland, and congratulations - both on your new job and on your first post!

You're sure to find lots of advice here, but I think Susan is right in saying that you'll need to be guided by the teacher you're working for and the ethos of your school. She should know, she is a teacher after all! :o Perhaps it is best to wait until you get there and learn more about the school, the children and how the job description translates into everyday practice.

Good luck - you're sure to have lots of fun!

Maz

best tip - take a box of chocolates for the staff room and they'll all love you forever! Your experience should hold you in good stead and I think you'll probably find yourself over qualified at times - your reception teacher is very lucky to have you x

During my 15 years of primary teaching (before I went bonkers and bought my own Nursery 6 years ago) I had some fabulous TA's and the most vauable things they did (apart from the things they did that were on their job descriptions!!!)

* Covered my class for me while I went for a wee about a million times while I was pregnant

* Gave me a cuddle when as a very young teacher it all got a bit overwhelming

* Shared the jokes with me when the 5 and 6 years olds looked at me blankly

* Danced like a mad thing with me at my wedding

* Agreed with me when nasty parents were picking on me! (or were they??!!)

* Made me tea just how I like it when I was on playground duty

* Provided kleenex when Ofsted / boyfriend / parent / lesson / life had all gone pants!

A good TA is like gold dust - and you just don't realise it until you get a rubbish one!

Best of luck

PW xx

Thanks again everybody. I like the box of chocolates idea - go for the basic instincts! PW - you have really put the "provide effective support for colleagues" job spec requirement into context! :o (Not sure about the dancing bit though!!).

Roll on September!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)