Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Photo Collage

Panders

I am planning to make a photo collage this week to put into a large clip frame. The photos are of one member of staff's key moments in our pre-school over the last 18 years (well that's how long she's been with us and she is now leaving).

Is it as straightforward as it looks? Or .......... are there any tips which can make it more successful than just plonking a lot of cut out photos on a board!!! xD

Any help most gratefully accepted :o

Thank you

Really sorry have never made one but didn't want to read and not reply. We have several that have been made as gifts for us and I think it's easier to see the photos when they have slight gaps around them rather than all overlapping but i guess that depends on how much space you have and how many photos. Sorry not to have been more helpful

Nicky Sussex :o

I have a huge one of family stuff over the years.

I started by creating a 'frame' a bit like doing all the edge pieces of a jigsaw and then filled it in

I placed all the pictures first and then moved some around before sticking them. It took ages but well worth it. I also cut most of the photos (they ended up as random shapes really!) and though they don't technically overlap there are no gaps . One part of the collage that often gets comments is a picture of me and tother half sitting opposite each other in a restaurant - the picture was cut to get rid of other tables etc in the background and one of my four sons (just head and shoulders) is stuck in the gap - oh dear difficult to describe but very effective!

Good luck have lots of fun doing it and what a lucky staff member to be receiving such a personal and thoughtful gift

have done one or two of my son..

I did the opposite to Geraldine and found one really good picture to use as a central focus... and place all the others around it..

one was 0-18 so had a picture of him on his 18th birthday in the middle- everyone comments on it.. I have a gap around each one and tore them around the edges.. very effective on a dark background as it frames each one really well..

the other I also had a central picture but then put all the others around it with no gaps.. this one was his Uni years.. so had a graduation pic in the middle.. and loads of others around it.. ( supplied by a friend of his who very thoughtfully sent me loads he had taken) again much commented on..

Think it depends on how many pictures you have - I played around for ages until I stuck them down, different backgrounds, shapes, postiions.. but end result is well worht it.

Inge

have done one or two of my son..

one was 0-18 so had a picture of him on his 18th birthday in the middle- everyone comments on it.. I have a gap around each one and tore them around the edges.. very effective on a dark background as it frames each one really well..

Think it depends on how many pictures you have - I played around for ages until I stuck them down, different backgrounds, shapes, postiions.. but end result is well worht it.

Inge

Thank you everyone - seems I have a little tricky work ahead this week, but I do like the idea of the black background and the images torn around - will have a little play with some old photos today, before tearing into the proper ones I think.

Hi Inge - thought I would just say I've finished the collage this afternoon using your idea of torn images on a black background and I am so............... pleased with it, I'm sure my member of staff will be too.

so glad it worked for you..

it does make them look very different and stand out , and I could get just the bits I wanted from the photos.. everyone comments on that one..

hope she likes it.. I am sure she will as it is a thoughtful gift..

my lot also gave me a completed learning journey in the same format as the children's with lots of lovely comments.. and they even found time to do a few observations of me at work, a tracker / movement and flow one which showed I was never in one place more than a few seconds so they commented i needed help in learning to concentrate and focus on one thing! it is a very funny read.

Inge