Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Work Experience Students

I have agreed to have some work experience students from my local secondary school (yrs 10 & 11) in June.

I have received a form to complete with the following statement: Under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, employees are required to complete a risk assessment for all employees, including work experience students, and where the students are in compulsory education (yrs 10 & 11) a copy must be sent to their parents.

My query is that my risk assessment file is huge, covering many aspects of the daily activities etc, is this what is required?

Has anyone else had experience of students this age ( 16yrs) and if my whole risk assessment is not required, ( which I don't think is all relevant to a student) what would you suggest I include in one for work experience students?

Thanks.

Peggy

We have work experience students every year, but I've never been asked to fill out a risk assessment! In fact, I think they may be a risk at times!!!

Hi Peggy

I have had students of this age but I didn't have to fill out a risk assessment as such. I had a form to complete giving areas for the student to be aware of and things they couldn't do. So things like I had shown them the fire and emergency procedure, they weren't allowed to be unaccompanied in a room with children, they weren't allowed to open the main entrance door but were to find a member of staff. I think if you put in those sorts of things you should be covered. If they are with a member of staff for the most part then you shouldn't need your entire risk assessment.

Linda

Our local secondary have to my knowledge never asked us for sanything, although the visits did start before I was playleader. We did have to have a visit from someone to do with Health and Safety, he inspected the premises and then gave us a certificate which he said is valid for 5 years. :D

Thanks for your replies,

Linda, you have confirmed my thoughts, I have to state I will do an induction which includes what you have said ( fire, exits, supervised with children etc).

ASPK, :D:D:D:D

Rea, I think it is more detailed requirements because the students are placed by an external agency from the school "Business link", they have told me they will be sending a Health and Safety inspector in, hope I get a certificate xD ( Healthy and of sound mind) or is it the setting he's inspecting :(

( We had some men in to check the building for asbestos :o , haven't heard back from the scout leader yet what their findings were)

Peggy

Hi,

As I am based in an upper school, I have students doing their work experience and students who are doing a gcse in child development. I always give them an induction but have never filled out a risk assessment for them.

net

we have work experience students place by an agency and while they did a H&S check with us to put us on their data base have not been asked to do risk assessments.

Also had H&S checks for the 2 local colleges before taking students from there too. (2 checks from one college by different departments as we also regularly have students with Special needs who have a work placement with us.)

we are now taking students on the new apprentice scheme where the college pays them for working with us for 3 months. This student particularly rquested us so we hope this one works out.

Inge

That's sounds quite interesting Inge, I've always rated "apprenticeships", learning hands on with theory back up, rather than "Proving" what is known ie: NVQ.

All the replies have at least reassured me I haven't missed a crucially important task, what did grab my attention as well was in the statement it also referred to "all employees"

(the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, employees are required to complete a risk assessment for all employees, including work experience students, )

It begs the question, does each individual employee pose different risks to us or themselves? :oxD I suppose they might,

One of my employees has learning difficulties and was supported into the job by a disabilities employment agency, we did assess potential risks specific to her, which have changed / decreesed over the time she has been with us, ie: initially, through lack of confidence, she may not feel able to report a hazard she has noticed ( she was very shy at talking to adults)- action, build her confidence and give her non threatening methods of communicating ie: post it notes and a specific place to put them. ( She has been with me for 18 mths now and is a very valued member of the team.

Peggy

One of my other staff poses a risk that if she looked in the mirror and smiled, it might break ( sorry, bad day)

Don't you find that they are more like those "hall of mirrors" all features are wibbly wobbly and distorted :D

We had our introductory Kitemark, quality assurance mentor give her intro session tonight. This particular member of staff had a face like a thunder storm with manic depression for the whole hour, I was so cross and told her how disappointed I was....she previously was all for it.

still tomorrow is another day :D

Peggy.

ps thanks for your humour

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)