Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term, Medium And Short Term Planning

Guest Cathryn1974

Guest Cathryn1974

Hi everyone

Hope you are enjoyding the nice bit of weather we are.

As some of you know I will be leading the FS in September and am just thinking about long term, medium and short term planning. This is how I see it and would love some expert feedback!

Long term planning is going to based on seasons and festivals. There will be no topics as such but just picking up on the rhythm of the year.

Medium term plans will be based on the interests of the children and will be projects which can last up t0 3/4 weeks (I want to get away from compartmentalising into half terms)

Short term plans are our daily adult led activities that are project connected and may have any of the 6 areas of learning focuses (although we will try and involve PSRN and CLL everyday into this) These will either run alongisde CI time or be nurture groups carpet sessions.

Also I will have an enhanced provision sheet to complete at the end of each day for the next day for indoors and outdoors.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always

Cathryn XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX :o

That sounds spot on to me! It's what we're doing and it leaves sufficient flexibility for child led themes to run on and on in lots of sideways directions!

sounds a fantastic way to plan. I just love how flexible it will be. Am very jealous...we still have themes and it's sooooooooo frustrating!!! Good luck and keep us in touch with how it goes :o

Guest Cathryn1974
sounds good and if you are happy stick to it xD - but... you dont really need long term plans - so festivals etc can just be incorporated into your med plans :o

Thanks everyone (great advice as usual) XXXXXX :(

sounds very similiar to what we do.... although our long term planning is all about our continuous provision and I have a plan for each in the unit area saying what will permantely be in that, how it will be organised, useful vocab when interacting in that area (helps with students etc) and which objectives the children are likely to achieve by accessing that area and those resources. early years advisory teacher suggested this and it works well! :o

This sounds like what i do. My long term plan has key festivals, seasonal events as you describe but I too also have the continuous provision sheets for different areas.

My medium term is very much a brief topic web style where I scribble ideas into subject areas. I don't actually put learning objectives (development matters) on it at this stage - I put these on my short term plans as they change depending of needs/interests of children. Does this sound like what others do? I have heard you don't need medium term nows. I tend to do a theme for about 3 weeks, will stop it sooner if childrens interests change or equally extend longer if children are interested in that.

I ensure i provide a balance of all areas of curriculum throughout the week. Would it be possible to see your enhanced provision sheet you use cathryn1974? I do one of these two but think I need to develop it.

Guest Cathryn1974

This sounds like what i do. My long term plan has key festivals, seasonal events as you describe but I too also have the continuous provision sheets for different areas.

My medium term is very much a brief topic web style where I scribble ideas into subject areas. I don't actually put learning objectives (development matters) on it at this stage - I put these on my short term plans as they change depending of needs/interests of children. Does this sound like what others do? I have heard you don't need medium term nows. I tend to do a theme for about 3 weeks, will stop it sooner if childrens interests change or equally extend longer if children are interested in that.

I ensure i provide a balance of all areas of curriculum throughout the week. Would it be possible to see your enhanced provision sheet you use cathryn1974? I do one of these two but think I need to develop it.

[/quot

I don't have a soft copy but it is basically each day along the top and then down the side these areas.

Role play, sand, water, malleable, PSRN, Writing area, Reading / quiet area, construction, blocks, creative, music, listening, ict

and we put anything on that is different to the continuous provision if we want to leave it CI we leave it blank, or if their is an adult led we put this on. (very basic) but it encourages staff to be more responsive to the children and not planning too much in advance.

For outdoors it is basically in areas of learning as I feel we need all areas represented (we are developing outdoors as I feel it is a bit random at the moment and not really from the children).

Hope this helps.

Cathryn X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)