Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Reports

Hi everyone

This is my first post to the forum - so hope you can help.......our setting is a pre school and wondered what your take is on sending home written reports to parents??

We currently hold open evenings and share childrens work with parents and complete a termly progress report for our own records - but have noticed some settings are also sending written reports home to parents...what do you think...??

We are lucky to speak to parents daily and be able to ask them to sit down and look at observations etc with us. We produce a summary of where the child is up to and what our next steps for development are for them (that doesn't sound quite right but I hope you understand what I mean), and this is produced each term. We don't send it home because we do have that luxury of time with the parents but we do ask them to look through it with us and add their comments or at least a signature. If we had parents who couldn't/didn't come in and have that time we would possibly send a copy home for them to contribute to.

"wondered what your take is on sending home written reports to parents??"

Welcome to the forum....bearing in mind we do lots of things to involve parents, much like all of us, two words come to mind

overkill and aarrrggghhh!

If I could knit some time I would do more but I am already tying myself in knots! :oxD:(:(:(

Welcome to the forum....bearing in mind we do lots of things to involve parents, much like all of us, two words come to mind

If I could knit some time I would do more but I am already tying myself in knots! xD:(:(:( :wacko:

Thanks for replies and for the welcome to the forum :o

We do a termly periodic progress review which was devised by our Early Years department and it serves two purposes, it's a report for the parents to keep as evidence of thier childs achievements and progress, which they really like, and also in order to complete it the staffs Keyworker Learning Journeys need to be up to date, so this ensures they get the files all updated regularly. THe PPR also helps with planning next steps and transition reports for the children going to school. They don't take too long to write and it is another good way to engage and chat to parents. :o

I think I'm getting to old and cynical for this job!!! I'm with you Shirel!!!!

We don't send home termly progress reports - we are a pre-school, we see parents every day and I have know intention of making myself (or team) even more work.

If we have a child with identified needs then yes,

If I worked in full daycare were the child spends more waking hours with us than with parents then yes I would.............but as a pre-school no.

We have scrapbooks and learning journeys which we encourage parents to look at add too and comment on on a continous basis.

We already have parents that panic at the thought of official 'open mornings' The way I see it is that the children come to us to play, interact and learn through experience and we spend our time ensuring that happens - not doing pointless paperwork. The poor things arn't at school so why start treating them as if they are.

Next we'll be doing SATS

Sorry for rant - bad day! :oxD

I do not feel the need either and you have to ask yourself 'Do your parents understand what they are looking at?'

mine read long obs , we see them daily and we have parents in to come and play, asking my paents what they want to see ....................be no surprise to know it is the scrap book of photo's

Oh dear I wish you would all come and speak to my manager.

We take a photo of each child and write about the main area of learning depicted in the photo. Then we have to link it to two other areas of learning, write 'next steps', a target, strategies we would use to help child reach target and opportunities for parents to help attainment at home. Phew! This goes out to parents the first week back after half term. Parents return the form signed with comments on the back to go into children's learning journey folders.

THEN.........no I'm not finished!!! We also do a written report which goes out at the end of each term. The only difference.......no photo!

I have 10 key children at the moment (same as other staff) and it's become a bit of a nightmare as you can imagine. Ofsted have never commented negatively. Manager is also an improvement advisor for the County and brings all sorts of new ideas picked up from her colleagues, reports being one of them. :o

Wow - thanks for all the replies - opinion seems pretty much divided - we ve just had Ofsted and a Good rating without currently sending out parent reports - but can see how some parents would like them. On the other hand, staff already feel the weight of paperwork is too much! Think we ll hold off for now. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)