Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who Pays?

Hi, I'm just curious, I'm about to take over as pre school manager/leader and have filled in my health form for Ofsted. I took it to the doctor and was charged over £100 for the form to be filled in. Who pays for this in your setting? Do you as the professional take the cost on or does your setting pay for it?

Thank you in advance

x

Guest jenpercy

you were really unlucky with your doctor - did they know it was for a childcare setting. Usually we pay about £30

The surgery should know the setting if they read the form (!) and in the receipt they quoted the title.

The preschool committee have met and agreed to pay 50% as that's what they did for the last manager and refuse to budge on this. I foolishly thought that as my employer they should pay, after all they pay for all staff and parents to be CRB checked and that's a similar responsibility.

The figure seems to be a standard fee, I wouldn't mind but I have a very good health record (touch wood) and have hardly ever seen my doctor so there can't have been that much to write!!!

Doctors practices can set their own fees for this kind of thing although they are supposed to be reasonable. My GP was lovely and asked us to make a £20 donation to the practice's fundraiser for charity (for which they gave me a receipt to claim back!) even though it took three visits and a long time to explain all my ailments!

In my setting, we pay for anything that's needed for the job. I even pay for the nit lotion if staff pick up the little devils! Your setting can set the cost against their outgoings/tax so I don't understand why they wouldn't pay for it all?

Edited by narnia

Hi, they might not realise you are a charity (I didn't realise that was how some preschools ran until I got involved). I would go back and make this clear to them.

I would also put my foot down with your committee and say that it is completely unreasonable for you to have to pay part of a charge that is solely to do with your employment with them. As chair I would never expect my manager to pay this kind of thing.

many GPs have a set fee for this and will not reduce or change it even for charity , in our surgery each GP has a different fee!

and the setting paid for it... it is part of the conditions Ofsted set about conditions of employment so you should not have to pay..

(which makes me wonder how much they pay for essential training like first aid etc including your time.. which is another one you would not do unless employed by them)

but I cannot see how you can force them to... I would protest and tell them you are not happy as you would not need it done if they were not employing you.. so you are out of pocket for their benefit.

Crbs are different as Ofsted actually pays for the initial one ( well they did ours) and as they did not insist on having updated ones and as we had to pay for them we didnt do them... ( and it was not a problem on inspection having 7 yr old CRBs on staff!)

Inge

( sorry for the double negative.. !)

Edited by Inge

The comment Inge made about 7 year old CRBs and OFSTED reminded me that when we had our inspection the inspector actually said that our CRBs were all fine ( although a couple were about 6 months overdue) because I get my staff to sign an annual disclaimer which states that they have not been charged or arrested for any offences etc. since thier last CRB check she stated this was good practice for all settings. I also get staff to renew/ update thier medical form annually too, and this can be really helpful if you get a situation where somebody has 'overlooked' telling you about changes in thier health. :o

How come I have never had an Ofsted inspector ask about my staff medical forms? None of us, including myself have ever filled in a medical form. CRB's are paid for by Ofsted, they do not need to be renewed, whether your staff sign disclaimers or not. Out of 7 staff only 2 of us even have CRB;s I myself manage the setting (and have done so through 3 inspections) on a 'fit person' letter. If we were required to have a medical form filled in by our GP then I'm afraid our setting would have to pay for it.

Guest jenpercy
How come I have never had an Ofsted inspector ask about my staff medical forms? None of us, including myself have ever filled in a medical form. CRB's are paid for by Ofsted, they do not need to be renewed, whether your staff sign disclaimers or not. Out of 7 staff only 2 of us even have CRB;s I myself manage the setting (and have done so through 3 inspections) on a 'fit person' letter. If we were required to have a medical form filled in by our GP then I'm afraid our setting would have to pay for it.

you are really lucky that OFSTED don't know that your staff don't have CRBs. When were you last inspected? They are really hot about checking up on all this recently. CRBs are free. You should have had letters from the firms concerned as you have obviously been in place for many years. There is no longer any su

ch thing as a fit person letter - although they are still valid for those of us who have them. I was asked only last week how I ensured that my staff remained fit for purpose - although saying that I was in the process of designing an annual medical form was good enough to get us satisfatory.

It has been a requirement that all staff be CRB checked for more than 10 years. I failed OFSTED last year for incomplete staff forms - and they had never asked before in such detail

I just had mine done.... As its a requirement for the setting for Ofsted the it is the settings responsibility to pay. Mine cost £40 but no examination was neccessary. With an exam it would have cost up to £80.

Childminders pay for their own as they are their own employer, but again you should be able to claim that back through your taxes.

Its worth asking your Early years team if its possible to claim any money back through them since yours is so much higher than others. you may be able to get funding for that.

Ali :)

It has been a requirement that all staff be CRB checked for more than 10 years.

No it hasn't. CRB came in in March 2002. It is not a requirement that existing staff have CRB - hence the ISA timetable that all new people have to register, then existing practitioners starting with those that do not have a CRB.

No it hasn't. CRB came in in March 2002. It is not a requirement that existing staff have CRB - hence the ISA timetable that all new people have to register, then existing practitioners starting with those that do not have a CRB.

Absolutely - there are plenty of us - me included - working on old Police Checks - quite legally thank you!

Absolutely - there are plenty of us - me included - working on old Police Checks - quite legally thank you!

and "outstandingly" !!!!!!!!!!!

Nona

Guest jenpercy

sorry I stand corrected. In 2002 we all had to get CRBs including existing staff. At that time it was said that they would only last for 3 years and so we thought that we would have to renew them 3 years later, however OFSTED backed down on that. We have to guarantee that we will not leave staff unsupervised with children if they have ot got CRB

Sorry I didn't explain myself very well. I, along with 4 of my staff were all done on the old 'police checks' As I said previously I had a 'fit' person interview (and have a letter confirming this) when I started running our group which was before Ofsted took over from Social Services. We are quite legal, thank you and my staff are all considered to be able to be left unsupervised with children as those that do have CRB's. We have the same inspections as you do and only (as I imagine you may be) if we get an inspector that is too young to remember when we were under Social services do we get any queries or questions about our 'fit person' certs. In 2002 we didn't all have to get CRB's done if we had existing 'police' checks . I even have a letter from a director of ofsted stating that if Social services were happy to accept our 'police' checks then they were not about to change this. . Our last inspection was 2 years ago. and the inspector we had said exactly the same as you have, then came back in the next day and said she had it wrong! Obviously if any of us were to change jobs then we would have to complete one.

Edited by lynned55