Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anti-virus Software

What anti-virus software do you all use?

We have got a new computer (not set up yet!) and we need anti-virus. We used Norton before but it was useless. We had major problems and was told to re-install it but we couldn't because it was already installed and wouldn't let us uninstall it!!!!!

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

:)

Hi Libby

We have Grisoft AVG anti virus at the moment. We have used MacAfee before and both seem to do the job. We do occasionally have stuff getting through but nothing major.

Linda

We have Norton Internet Security 2005. What you always have to keep in mind, no matter which software you use, is to constantly update it. For example, each day I connect to the internet, I update my software. I suppose a new upgrade will come in 2007. Until now, thankfully, we have not had problems with Norton.

Same here Smiley,

we also use Spyware Begone to stop people accessing information ie: email address etc, from your computer via the open internet line ( if you see what I mean- hubby is the expert)

We also have a programme to stop pop-ups.

Peggy

Hi libby -

You obviously had a bad experience with Symantec's Norton Antivirus software, which can happen. I've used it for several years now and found it to be excellent. Sometimes software can just be a pain when it finds something unusual about a system.

The main thing I like about Norton is it's invisibility. If you set it to perform automatic updates it will download the latest virus definitions and any software updates that are required without you even being aware of it, which is great if like me you're less organised than Smiley! :D

In addition to antivirus software (and the others that have been mentioned are very good as well), you also need two other things to give your pc reasonable protection.

1 - Anti-spyware (not the same as virus protection)

2 - Firewall (which makes your computer invisible when you're on the internet to passing raiders)

Anti-spyware: two excellent free ones, Ad-aware (link given by mousebat above), and Spybot Search & Destroy. If you can spare the time it's worth getting both of them and running them regularly. They both find different things so the two together provide very good protection against browser hijacking and other nasties.

Firewall - A good free one is zone alarm (again the link given by mousebat above), although sometimes if you have a couple of pc's networked together it can be difficult to configure it properly without some experience. If you have Windows XP it has it's own firewall, although it only protects from incoming nasties. If you have spyware or other unpleasant stuff on your pc it won't to my knowledge stop these programs communicating outwards from your pc.

One final thing that can be very useful. Internet Explorer itself is very prone to security vulnerabilities. An excellent free browser which many people believe to be safer and more fully featured than IE, is Firefox.

That's a lot of stuff - I'm not trying to frighten anyone, but each of those elements will provide more protection. If you spend a lot of time online, or if you leave your pc online and unattended and have children who like to access games or other dodgy sites, you will do so more safely with these things protecting your pc! :)

xD Oh, Steve, you make me laugh :(

I am a freak :(. I am so afraid that something will happen to our PC that I don't wait for the invisible updates to be done automaticly with Norton Internet Security (Outbreak Alert, Personal Firewall, Intrusion Detection, Norton AntiVirus, Norton AntiSpam, Privacy Control and Parental Control) and that is why I update it daily, too be 100% sure I won't be taken by surprise :o

Do you think with what I have I still have to add a SpyWare? :(

Thanks in advance!

We have all of those that Steve has mentioned, Spybot, Adaware and Zonealarm besides the Grisoft that I have already mentioned. Firefox rings a bell too! I thought my husband was just being over cautious but obviously not looking at Steve's advice!! The Grisoft program updates automatically. We have it set to run at the same time each day, about 6.30 in the evening while we are eating, to check for viruses etc. Our computer goes on when I get home at lunch time most days and goes off when the last of us goes to bed at about 11.30 and the internet is accessed a lot during that time.

We also have something called Registry Mechanic which Gavin runs on a regular basis. So I hope we are pretty much covered. Great things computers until they get sick!!

Linda

Wow!!! Thanks everyone. I am totally baffled now - I didn't realise it was all so complex!! Steve, I have printed off your reply so I can study it at length and make sure I have everything you suggest.

My next question is: Do you HAVE to pay for these things? A friend of mine also suggested Grisoft (which they use). She said you just download it from site and home users don't have to pay for it.

By the way, Steve, we have had an awful experience with Norton. It wouldn't automatically update so I had to download the updates each time and then install them manually which was a bit of a pain. Then when the first month was up, it told me to register which I tried to do and this caused all kinds of problems. I followed instructions which told me to re-install the whole package. I couldn't do this until I had uninstalled the original one which I couldn't do!!!!! (Does any of that make sense??) Anyway, we gave up in the end.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I'll let you know how I get on. We're hoping to set up new computer this week .......... when we have several hours to spare!!!

:(:(:oxD:)

libby,

we had same problem with norton, but went onto their site and asked for help and details of how to uninstall and reinstall turned out to be very easy and now running with no probs.

Inge

Hi Libby -

Nope - you don't have to pay for a lot of it:

Antivirus - some very good ones are free (but I'd still recommend Norton AV if you can bear to try it again, just because of the transparent automation). These include AVG, the Grisoft product.

Firewall - If you're using XP the firewall built into the Operating System is free - and Zone Alarm from Zonelabs is much more comprehensive and also free.

Anti-spyware programs - two of the best are Ad-aware (from lavasoft) and Spybot S&D (both easily found from a search) and they are both free.

And the Firefox browser is terribly good and, yes you guessed it, it's free! :)

By the way - if anyone wants to feel better about their firewall protection (or possibly not so good about it), go to www.grc.com and follow the links to Shields Up. They'll test your defences for you in a couple of minutes.

I too had problems with Norton and had to uninstall and reinstall each time I renewed my subscription. As a result the new upgrade took ages. I now have problems connecting to broadband (basically I can't do it and no-one has been able to help despite 2hours on the providers help line! :o). I've therefore given up and rely totally on hubby's laptop, my class computer and the local library!