Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Please- Tonight!

pinkslc

Ofsted are in today and they looked at my eye-profile data. They picked up on a boy in my class who, in PD, made 2 points progress in Autumn term and 2 in spring term. The inspector said because he was 'only makeing 2 points progress' he was only making satisfactory progress.

I thought that you can not state an average number of points per half term to show good/satisfactory progress as each point is 'weighted' differently and it is non-hierarchical. We have been told to raise any queries re our interviews with the head and I'm unsure if I'm right or if she is!

HELP!

Hi pinkslc, I didn't want to read and run - have you looked on the forum as I'm sure we had a discussion recently about the progress scale for grading. I would have thought 2 for each term showed slow but steady progress! but I'm Preschool so am not overly familiar with the profile I'm afraid. Catma usually has some very sensible advice about it, you could send her a private message if she's not already online.

Sorry I can't be more help!

I wonder why 2 points per half term is deamed satisfactory progress. When the profile first came out the rough guideline was that children in nursery would cover the first three points - four to eight in Reception with higher achievers reaching 9. That would mean crudely - Autumn term at two points (though of course they are NOT hierachical after the first 3 points) up to 5, spring term up to 7 - which would only leave 1 point to cover in Summer unless he was above average! If the child is coming in at below 3 then progress would surely be lower anyway.

Sorry I can't be of more concrete help - but I can't see where the inspector is coming from!

Good luck and I hope you manage to get this sorted.

Just re-read your post - has he made 4 points overall? Does the inspector think he's only made 2 points overall? Are all the other children in the cohort making more than 2 points progress a term? Just a few queries to ry to help ths become clearer to me.

OK - I have copied below some of the DCSF's own guidance from the back of the eProfile handbook. The bold writing is my own to highlight relevant points I feel will support your argument.

Primarily I believe that the use of EYFSP data in this way is not effective and neither is it accurate. The EYFSP is about ATTAINMENT not ACHIEVEMENT.

Distinction needs to be made between the following terms so that there is clear understanding of what is meant.

Achievement – measures a child's progress from one point to another over time.

Attainment – describes where a child is in relation to a given set of criteria at a point in

time.

Through accurate assessment, moderation and the consistent application of exemplification in accordance with statutory guidance, attainment represents a picture of a child's learning and development in relation to specific criteria that is consistent nationally. Consideration of achievement, however, needs in addition to include some exploration of the starting point and individual circumstances for a child, in order to evaluate their progress.

Points to remember

• Young children learn and develop in different ways and at different rates. It is therefore essential that teachers, headteachers and SIPs use the eProfile data, graphs and charts appropriately. Further guidance on this aspect of eProfile can be found within the section relating to each graph format.

It is not appropriate or acceptable under any circumstances to use the eProfile data to set targets for individual or groups of children, nor for teacher performance management.

• The EYFS profile is not a planning tool. It is an end of reception year summary of a child's attainment.

• The EYFS profile scale points are designed as end of reception year statements and are not detailed enough to provide the practitioner with indication of the next step in a child's learning. The practitioner will need to plan from the EYFS framework and Progress Matters guidance.

2. Difference between eProfile and EYFS profile

Many of the graphs show the picture or snapshot of attainment during the course of the reception year in addition to the end of phase outcomes. It should be remembered that in-year assessments should be viewed against the wider EYFS framework and Progress Matters guidance and only finalised judgements at the end of the year can be considered as EYFS profile outcomes. Clarity about this distinction will ensure that analysis of the data does not lead to erroneous conclusions and inappropriate interpretation.

3. In year and end of phase outcomes

The picture of attainment for each child will build up during the reception year as evidence is evaluated, assessments are made and entered into eProfile. When considering these in-year patterns, it should be remembered that the scale point statements are designed for final judgement at the end of the phase, and so evidence towards their attainment will be available elsewhere prior to a scale point being attained.

Within a child's eProfile record of assessment, where a scale point has not been attained, it may be that the child is working well within that early learning goal but perhaps not independently and consistently showing all aspects of the knowledge, skill or understanding to which it relates. In this case the scale point would not be marked as attained.

Hope that helps.

Cx

Edited by catma

Oh and raise the query with your HT. This is not the purpose of the EYFSP and you would be perfectly right to not even have made any EYFSP judgements yet!!

"Throughout use of eProfile the distinctive nature of EYFS profile scale points should be

understood, alongside the principle that any numerical summary of children's attainment

represents a very limited record of the true picture of their learning and development."

CX

Edited by catma

Guest LornaW

Knew you would give a really comprehensive reply catma! Is it also worth looking at the Ofsted guidance on their website?

Lorna

Edited by LornaW

well done pinkslc. I'd love to hear their response or reaction.

Same here, how did they respond to being challenged on what they'd said? Well done for sticking up for yourself!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)