Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting Up A Playgroup/pre School

Hi,

I am looking to start a local playgroup and preschool.

I have found premises, but need (lots) of money.

I have just undertaken my EYP, and have knowledge and experience in early years, but I don't have business knowledge, and don't know where to start.

I know there is a shortage of playgroups in my area, and so there is a gap to fill, but need funding.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can go begging, or who I could ask for support and advice??

:o

Edited by Guest

You might be able to try your local authority. They seem to have lots of money!

Also, the Pre-School Learning Alliance books, financial management and employment in the early years are good.

By the way, you must be mad! But good luck to you.

i got my funding through Bright Horizons as part of the Lottery funding.............not vast amounts of money, but enough to help refurbish joint usage premises and help with rent/wages/uniform for the first year, But yes, contact local authority early years team, ask about need and sustainabilty in your area, though it sounds as if you've identified the need! Good luck

I think you would gain advice and support from your local authority early years and childcare unit. They should be able to advise you on any funding that is available for start up grants and also signpost you to business services for support and advice. They will also be able to support you with the registration side of things with Ofsted.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your venture. :-)

Hi,

I am looking to start a local playgroup and preschool.

I have found premises, but need (lots) of money.

I have just undertaken my EYP, and have knowledge and experience in early years, but I don't have business knowledge, and don't know where to start.

I know there is a shortage of playgroups in my area, and so there is a gap to fill, but need funding.

Does anyone have any advice as to where I can go begging, or who I could ask for support and advice??

:o

Thank you to all of you that have sent replies, they are really helpful.

I will contact my LA early years team. See how much money is in the pot.

I do realise that it's not a sane ambition, but an ambition none the less!!

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be back with more problems for you guys to advise me on!

K80. :o

• 3 months later...

Hello there,

I am replying to a post made back in May 2010, so not sure if you are still around....I just wondered how you got on with setting up your nursery/pre-school? I am in Surrey and am just starting to (try) and research doing the same thing. I am currently looking into the funding available so your posts and the comments left for you have really helped me. I haven't as yet found a premises so think that's probably my priority at the moment. My sons' nursery is closing down which is why I have been prompted to want to open a new one - there is HUGE demand already plus a new development of family homes being built in our area.

Any feedback on how you got on would really be appreciated!

Thanks so much. [/font]

Welcome to the Forum DreAndTy and congratulations on making your first post.

Have you got hold of a copy of your Local Authority's most recent childcare sufficiency audit? I'd definitely start off by looking at it if I was starting a new group. Demand may be high, but there may also be spare capacity in the market and it always pays to find out where your competition is. However if there is more demand than capacity, it may be that there will be grants available to help you set up.

Is there any mileage in taking over your son's group? Do you know why it is closing? Knowing the reasons behind it may provide you with some extra research material.

I'd also be very interested in how your authority is supporting groups to deliver the 15 hour entitlement, and to be very clear in your business plan that the fees for funded children are sufficient for you to offer the 'free' entitlement profitably.

Business Link are very helpful if you need help with writing business plans etc - and best of all their advice and courses are free!

Good luck - I'll be interested to know how you get on!

Maz