Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminders And Early Years Degree

I had previously started my early years degree with the OU when I was a nursery manager but had to put it on hold when I left my my job 2 years ago, I am now a registered childminder and received details today from my LEA about funding for childminders for further education enabling childminders to reach EYPS. My question is how many childminders have or are undertaking an early years degree, How have you found evidencing your practice as I remember that I had to have someone before to sign that it was my work etc as a childminder you work alone so who can do that for you? Would other childminders recommend doing the degree I currently have a Level 4 qualification.

Tink69

Have just looked on the OU site and it states for the next course I have to do " •have a suitable person within your work setting who will confirm that the work you submit is based on your practice within that setting"

Edited by Tink69

I've had no problem so far doing my Early Years Foundation Degree as a childminder. We haven't been expected to get people to sign things. We just write assignments about our practice to show that we understand the theory behind it. I have needed to be a little more creative than others at times but it hasn't been too difficult.

You could always volunteer in a local nursery or reception class if you have a few spare hours a week.

Hi Tink69

I was working as a childminder when I did my foundation degree and there were 3 other childminders on the course with me. We had no problems at all doing the FD course.A couple of the assignment questions were geared more for other settings but with help from the tutors we always managed to do them.

For certain assignments (managing sessions)one of the tutors came out to our homes to observe us doing activities then signed to say she had observed (does that make sense!)

I say go for it you will be fine,unsworth

Hi Tink69

I would recommend that you look at what Universities and Colleges accept in regards to embarking on the EYPS Course. My friend had recently completed her Foundation Degree and as it is not a full B.A Degree she was unable to qualify for the EYPS - she is now topping up her qualification by embarking on the third year of a B.A course.

Hope this helps :+)

Hi,

I am currently doing this course and I work as a nanny. I get the children's mum to sign my work so you could ask a parent or I know there are other childminders on my course who are getting fellow childminders to sign theirs. Did you know that there is a 7 year time limit to complete the foundation degree with the ou. I did the same thing as you started when i was nursery manager, left my job and did nothing for a couple of years and now paniking about getting it completed in time.

Rapunzel x

Did you know that there is a 7 year time limit to complete the foundation degree with the ou.

Thanks rapunzel I was aware of a time limit but as not sure how long it was. I hadn't planned on continuing because of the cost issue but now this funding has come along it seems to good of an opportunity to miss. I do like studying with the OU as I can fit it round my family life. Think I will have to contact the OU and see where I stand.

Hi

I am at present completing my first years of my degree yeehaaa!!!!! I am a registered childminder, and I was told to get someone who can see you are completing your WBT's ie husband to sign. This works for me and the UNI accept that.

I had previously started my early years degree with the OU when I was a nursery manager but had to put it on hold when I left my my job 2 years ago, I am now a registered childminder and received details today from my LEA about funding for childminders for further education enabling childminders to reach EYPS. My question is how many childminders have or are undertaking an early years degree, How have you found evidencing your practice as I remember that I had to have someone before to sign that it was my work etc as a childminder you work alone so who can do that for you? Would other childminders recommend doing the degree I currently have a Level 4 qualification.

Tink69

Have just looked on the OU site and it states for the next course I have to do " •have a suitable person within your work setting who will confirm that the work you submit is based on your practice within that setting"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)