Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Confused About Sef

I'm struggling a bit with parts of the Early Years SEF. Is the section on how resources are effectively deployed referring to financial management? I wish they would use plain English on these forms. I find them unnecessarily wordy and impossible to decipher in parts.

Does anyone have an example of this section that they would be willing to share? I would be most grateful.

Welcome to the Forum, oneworld.

I have to own up and say I haven't done my SEF yet, so I'm not familiar with the layout. I'd say the answer probably depends on which section it is in, but when I think about deployment of resources I think of staff, toys, materials etc rather than money.

I know there are lots of more organised people on here who have completed and submitted their SEF and I'm sure they'll be along to correct me!

Maz

Does anyone have an example of this section that they would be willing to share? I would be most grateful.

I just noticed this bit of your post. I'm not sure how I feel about looking at someone else's SEF because every group is so different, but people have uploaded their SEFs to the Forum. You can check them out in this thread here.

Good luck!

Maz

How can you possibly 'deploy' toys and materials though? Staff, yes, but equipment?

Well as I said, I haven't done it so I could be wrong. However I'd say that when you decide what equipment/resources to use where, or when you rotate toys in response to children's interests/needs or when you set your room up in a particular way to enable children to fully access the curriculum you are deploying toys and materials.

Maz

Hi oneworld and a very warm welcome to the forum! xD

Great fun the old SEF isn't it :(:o all I can promise is that it feels great when it's done! :(

I split that section into Human Resources and Physical resources - but who's to say I've got it right! :(

Hope that is of some help

Hi

I had my Ofsted inspection last Thursday and hope I can help with the subject of deploying resources as it was an area the inspector was very impressed with!

It means - how you make sure that the resources you have are available to the children. For example we are a pack a way setting in a church hall and struggle to set out all the resources everyday due to restrictions with storage etc. Anyway if for example you have a computer but dont have it out everyday is this the best outcome for children - Ofsted would say (as they told us) that it should be availabe all the time regardless of the logistical difficulities your setting may have.

Another example: do you have sand inside and outside, do you have water inside and outside, books also.

Do you have more than one item of each toy for children to use without fighting over it etc.

So deploying resources just means the way you organise the toys you have in the setting - in the same way as you would deploy staff really, eg not all the staff would supervise sand, so in other words you wouldnt just provide block play and nothing else.

Hope that all makes sense.

Sarah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)