Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Am Now Officially In Panic Mode!

PLEASE HELP!

I have been shortlisted for a job as a Family Support Worker based at local children's centre - have received mail today confirming interview time and date - and saying I will be required to make 2 presentations and complete 2 exercises as part of the interview process details of which will be given to me on each day of the interview - (2 interviews - one with employer and one 'in front of the Parents Panel'

Has anybody any experience of anything like this happening? There is absolutely no clue as to what the presentations or exercises would be about or in what format.

HELP!!!

well first of all good luck with it.

Have a good look at the person spec.. this will often give you clues about what might come up. For a family support post you will almost certainly asked about engaging with families who find services difficult to access, and Id take a good guess that confidentiality and safeguarding will be there in some way too.

You may be asked what you know about the CAF process in a direct or indirect way and also about multi agency working. Many of these questions you will be able to answer from your experiences, so use examples in your answers.

If you dont know the CC reach area already, try and find out a bit about it, what is the population make up, and what CC are and do.

Good luck with it, I hope it's what you want it to be.

In school we've set presentations and excercises for interview. Usually, we've done the excercise as a role play to see how you'd react situations, as an intray to see how you prioritise and what you view as important and we've also done discussions with interviewees together to see how you communicate, listen, work in a team etc.

Don't panic, just know your knowledge, apply common sense on the day and you'll be great.

Hope this helps x

Oh, also with presentations don't be afraid to ask for resources if they're not there (eg pens, projector etc depending on type of presentation)

I feel completely in the dark with this as I have no idea about what kind/format of presentation it would be - or what topic it would be about. I am worried that I will have a mind blank even though I probably would know what they were asking for.

Am I right in thinking that it is over two days? You might find you get given a presentation title at the end of the first day to present at the start of the 2nd day. Which gives you a bit longer if your brain is blank. If your mind goes blank take some of your own paper with you so you can brainstorm ideas first before writing on the "proper" paper!

Don't be scared by the formality of it all, believe in your own ability and you'll be fine. It might be something like present to us your understanding of why safeguarding is important or present to us the reasons why you want the job and then you can just bullet point your ideas.

Don't worry about the unknown. Just focus on your strengths and have examples of how you meet the person spec ready.

Relax :o !

Guest Spiral

Just wanted to offer my support.

I'm sure you'll be fine, you already come accross as an intelligent person who is comfortable asking questions, considering answers and responding appropriately!!!

See, you'll be fine, just don't panic, take a deep breath and listen carefully to what they ask of you - take time to think and then respond.

Good luck,

Spiral.

Just need somewhere to offload - sorry!

Day one of interviews over! Today's interview was awful a complete nightmare!

I never want to go through anything quite like that again...now I am wondering if this is the right job, do I want to work in this role....

On arrival I had to go in a room on my own and complete ICT tasks (timed)

Had 50 mins to prepare a presentation about a topic which they chose then had to present verbally to interview panel in no more than 10 mins! (was allowed to make written notes in the 50 mins)

Then after the presentation - what seemed like a life time of questions about scenarios - UTTER DISASTER! - I had never ever experienced ANY of the scenarios they gave me and as I was trying to waffle my way through they kept changing the scenario! Felt completely out of my depth and I am sure they knew it.

Then I had what I would call 'an interview' ...the usual questions

Finally the icing on the cake (or not) was on leaving I picked up my bag and my rough notes made for the presentation, when they asked me to leave the notes behind as they were being assessed as part of a written presentation - I couldnt believe it! My handwriting was like spider crawl and really big (so I didn't have to keep taking my reading glasses on & off), I had scribbling out and bits underlined, arrows to other bits....If I had known previously that my notes were to be used in this way I would have made an effort.

Sorry - long day - interview lasted for more than 2 hours!!! Oh well same again tomorrow - this time in front of a parent panel.

Goodness!! that sounds truly awful!

Pour yourself a glass of wine and put your feet up and chalk this one down to experience (a nightmare, but experience!) On the other hand - if YOU floundered, what was everyone else like - it's a shame we don't get the opportunity to give feedback on interviews!

Edited by Cait

Thanks for the advice Cait - I can honestly say I have never felt quite so poorly equipped - there was no mention of EYFS or ECM and standards at all! No mention of SEN either - I hope tomorrow is better - but wondering what on earth is going to happen as I may have to complete more exercises and another presentation...not to mention I have no idea what the parents might question me about.

I had never ever experienced ANY of the scenarios they gave me and as I was trying to waffle my way through they kept changing the scenario! Felt completely out of my depth and I am sure they knew it.

i'm sure you did better than you think.

Perhaps they were just trying to show you that scenarios do change all the time and the more you learn abouth that situation and obtain more information about it, you deal with it differently :o does that make sense.

My friend had an interview ages ago for an outreach worker at the childrens centre, she went through what seems like the same sort of interview, i believe she even cried in hers - good news she GOT the job

Relax and dont worry, at least you know what your up against tomorrow!

Just wanted to wish you well at your second interview today Hen. Perhaps it is as Brenda has said.....that life and situations are constantly changing and you have to show how you would deal with the unexpected....almost like arriving at work one morning to find the big 'O' at your door (perish the thought!!).

Easy for me to say but try to relax and just show them what you're made of!!

Let us know how it went won't you. :o

Well day 2 is here - and have no idea what that will bring. Hopefully the parent panel won't be as intense but who knows. At this moment in time I have to really think 'is this the right job for me?' I'm not too sure now.

Thanks for all your support - as ever - this forum is brilliant always there when needed.

I will definitely keep you posted.

Hi everyone

Today's interview - was much better - in fact it was even enjoyable - relaxed and informal. I met some lovely people at the children's centre and the parents panel had some lovely parents on it and I was in my complete and utter comfort zone with the questions....so now it's the waiting game...

If the job is working with the people I met today and I am lucky enough to get an offer then I will go for it - but if t is like yesterday then I'll decline! Will be in touch

I've only just seen this - it does sound a very unfair interview process to me, myhenroxanne. They might justify it by saying that they were putting you under extreme pressure to see how you'd react, but that's a poor excuse if you ask me!

I'm sure you rose to the challenge and did much better than you feared - I often find that in these situations your knowledge just rises to the surface and even though you hadn't experienced the scenarios before I'm sure you gave a good account of yourself.

Am looking forward to hearing whether you've got the job and if you decide to accept. Cait makes a good point about feedback - just as you have the right to ask for feedback about how you performed at the interview, I do believe you have the right to offer your own feedback. So whether you end up working for them or not, make sure you have your say if you want to!

Maz

After yesterday my hubby wonders what on earth I have applied for! (haha) He wondered whether I was standing for PM????

The lady at reception desk today mentioned how intense it had been for me yesterday (not sure how she knew? as she wasn't at the interview) unless my face on leaving said it all!