Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moderating Judgments

Hi My manager has requested that we look into how we can moderate observations to ensure we are all coming to the same conclusions and to ensure children are or have achieved an aspect before it gets highlighted off as achieved.

Does anyone else do this and if so how?

One more question do you tell staff or have a baseline of how many times a skill needs to be observed before it is highlight as achieved.?

It has been noticed that staff highlight if they have offered it or seen it once which doesn't mean it is achieved.

Hope that makes some sense?

Skippy

I think it is very difficult to come to the same conclusions when you have several members of staff who are key working.

What one member of staff see's another may see something different and neither is wrong.

I personally trust my staff's judgment when it comes to how many times we see something before we class it as 'done'.

I routinely check their key children's folders and my staff plan weekly and individually for each of their key children, i then input this onto plans and weekly provision plans. This also indicates to me where the children are and if staff are ok or needing guidance

Hi My manager has requested that we look into how we can moderate observations to ensure we are all coming to the same conclusions and to ensure children are or have achieved an aspect before it gets highlighted off as achieved.

Could you do some sort of paired staff work for a while, just so they can discuss it and see if they agree on their conclusions?

Does anyone else do this and if so how?

One more question do you tell staff or have a baseline of how many times a skill needs to be observed before it is highlight as achieved.?

No, we don't but staff do lots of mini obs which they write up against the stepping stone, and I look at these regularly and if I considered that something was a bit weak, I might suggest they look into consolidating it, or observing again. Sometimes a skill only needs to be observed once and you can see that the child has definitely 'got it'.

It has been noticed that staff highlight if they have offered it or seen it once which doesn't mean it is achieved.

No, it doesn't, not always, you are right.

Hope that makes some sense?

Skippy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)