Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading Books

Hi

Please can you help!

I'm looking to buy some decodable reading books to use in Reception.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts about any current ones on the market-pros/cons/prices/etc

Everything's sooo expensive I'd really appreciate some of your comments before I talk to any reps who will ALL

tell me how wonderful their books are.

Thank you and Happy Easter

L

Jelly and Bean books are popular with most our lot, if you go to their website you can order inspection copies for free.

http://www.jellyandbean.co.uk/

We tend to start off with these as the text is large and the amount of text and difficulty develops slowly. But some children don't find them interesting enough.

We also use Jolly Phonics, ORT Songbirds and Read, Write Inc books. I find these good but after the first few books the amount of words is offputting for some children and jumps too fast.

Hope this helps

RIgby star are recommended as a good core set in the IoE book bands handbook - if you get hols of this they give an overview of most of the current ranges and how they connect with phonics phases etc.

Cx

We have some of the Floppy's phonics and Songbirds from the ORT scheme. They are good, but the phonics aren't really introduced strictly according to the L&S phases which can cause problems. Also some of the non fiction books are incredibly difficult. I tried to read a yellow band one with a girl at the end of phase three phonics and she struggled with the sheer number of unfamiliar tricky words, as well as the fact that some of the sounds were phase five sounds.

There are probably better schemes out there in other words!

We use Jelly & Bean and ORT, also have a number of Rigby star.

Our year one use 123 & away - Roger Red Hat etc, so we also have those.

They are so old my own children, 20 & 23, learnt to read with that scheme!

Jackie.

I loved reading Roger Red Hat etc when I was little!!!

We have a mixture of Songbirds, Floppy Phonics, Rigby Star, Collins Big Cat Phonics (I really like these).

We have floppy phonics and song birds. I really like both, I think the floppy phonics in the pink stage are easier than song birds as they have less words to a page. Agree with Kariana regarding the non-fiction books being harder! The books are best for children once they have completed phase 2 so know most single letter sounds.

We have the first few 'phonic books' and I'm looking to get some more for next year as the children on these are getting on really well. The books follow the Letters and Sounds order and all the words are decodable - no tricky words which the children struggle with so much wwhen they first start reading. I've not seen the books in the later stages, but the first ones are very good and the children enjoy them.

http://www.phonicbooks.co.uk/

Sorry, just looked again at the phonics books and they don't quite follow the same order as Letters and Sounds (I use Jolly Phonics, so do it in a slightly different order anyway) but all the books list which sounds the children need to know before reading the book.

I have just ordered the Rigby Star phonic readers, they are so wonderful. The best part is that they have decodable non fiction (which are beautifully pitched) as well as fiction. The illustrations remind me of the Lauren Child (?) books with animation and photos. Absolutely fab!

We've had a few songbirds and 1 copy of each of the rigby phonics readers. We've just had some samples of jelly and bean sent through which are cheaper than rigby, but I would say not quite so exciting. We have decided to use rigby phonics as guided readers and jelly and bean as indivudal readers, supplemented by songbirds when necessary.

Not cheap though!

Hi

Thank you for all your help. Have been looking at the ones you suggest. Lots of good stuff to choose from.

Can't wait to get spending!!

x

I've started using Ragtag rhymes (bit Dr Seussish) in addition to Songbirds (main scheme) Big Cat phonics and Rigby Star phonics - we also use Rigby Rockets Big Cat and Nat Geograph non fiction books once children are reading confidently.

Guest tinkerbell

My class love Jelly and Bean.I have also bought the Cd and we put them on the iwb.

Once the children are decoding and moving along happily I let them take our old ORT which they love...it also gets more of the high frequency words in.

Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)