Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supernumeracy

Hi titchy

I work in a pack away village hall pre-school and was made supernumerate by the committee two years ago. It has proved very effective, as the increasing amount of 'paper work' would never get done otherwise! I find I have time to keep in touch with all the staff, arrange training and meetings along with my responsibilities of Senco, Behaviour Management and H&Safety! I am also able to cover any last minute staff absence, which can be very useful at times! We also have an administrator to cover the register, invoices, funding and wages etc. We are charity based and do not seem to make any money, apart from fund raising events, but staff, parents and children all seem to be happy! :o

well i'm a manager in a pack away setting and i'm in ratio doing all the paperwork at home in the evenings and weekends in my own time and not getting paid for it....... can't see the committee going for supernumeracy some how!!!!

I will become supernumary when we move to new site. This enable me to implement best practice, arrange in house training, attend partnership meetings, home visits and cover for staff absences. I intend to spend the same amount of time with the children, my hours have been increased, I will be working 9-5, we close at 3.15 so paperwork will be done from 3.15 to 5pm, I will also cease being a key person, but overseeing all the keypersons assessing, planning etc.

I'm striving to do this for our manager/leader. Even if we can only afford a day or two a week it would definitely be worth it.

Whether it is financially viable is another matter, especially given that we go quite a bit above ratio (i.e. 3 adults even when we only need 2).

It might be possible in the summer term when our numbers are at their highest, then I could use bank staff to cover.

I'm supernumerary on three mornings a week for me to do paperwork and some one-to-one work with a child and also to spend time with my two NVQ students. Sometimes it doesn't work of course, but we take things as we can!

Hi

My supervisor is supernumeracy on mondays and wed (we are open 9 - 3.15pm). This enables her to catch up on paperwork, phone calls, work with new colleagues etc especially with all the SEN children we have at the mo. We also have a paid co-ordinator who does, registers, admissions, fees etc and is a huge help. We are a charity pre-school , based in a secondary schoolo, with about 100 children on roll, able to take 40 children per day with 16 staff working varied shifts. Only 5 years ago they were based in scout hut with 5 staff so has come a long way! Committee are very understanding when it comes to staff.

Hi

I am in a pack away setting, preschool, charity i have been supernumery (?SP) for at least 8 years now so feel very lucky. i am on a salary so therefore am contracted for my hours i do per week and this takes into account work at home and in the holidays.

i also have an administrator who does all the fees and admin

it gives me time to keep up to dae with all the paperwork, day to day issues, meetings etc and cover at short notice. i have 16 staff and at the mo we are comittee run but looking at going for CIO as soon as it is launched.

i was lucky 8 years ago as the old manger left under a cloud and i was able to basically state my terms. it is quite unusual round here from what i hear.

it does mean we dont make a profit as everything is wages or ploughed back into the group,. but we are not supposed to being a charity

we are open 9-3 5 days, have 75 on the roll and 42 per session but lots of coming and going

supernumery (?SP)

supernumerary

"Supernumerary is an additional member of an organization. A supernumerary is also a non-regular member of a staff, a member of the staff or an employee who works in a public office who is not part of the manpower complement. Thus, a supernumerary could be an extra member or a temporary employee in addition to the permanent staff, or permanent members of a society"

:o